Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Unreal on Mac OS High Sierra (Read 143 times)
A§MD_JunKie_:)

Oldunreal member

Unreal on Mac OS High Sierra
Oct 13th, 2017 at 12:57am
Print Post  
It's been a long time, since I've been to the forums.  Very sorry for the extended absence.  I played BF2/BFBC2/BF3/LoTRo/Guild Wars 1 & 2 after I left Unreal.  Yet I long for those long lost days of Unreal.

So, about 2 years ago I started building my own Hackintosh Rig.  I have an Asus Z97 Pro Gamer, Intel i7-4770 3.4 GHz, 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 - 3GB GDDR5, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD; in this rig I also have separate HDD's for Windows when I need it.

Since I have found how to make Unreal Gold with the latest 227i patch work on macOS High Sierra {with the new APFS file structure}, without a lot of headache.  I decided to find a place I know and remember so that I could share the information for inquiring minds that want to know how to do it.

https://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/ go to this link and read up on the Wine Installation.

After you have primed the Wine Cellar Smiley, dig out your Unreal Gold (Windows disc) and copy all of the files to a folder on your Mac.  Follow the Wine Installation process, after it has installed the game; "I don't recommend launching the game" after the install.  Have the 227i zip (exe) patch ready to repeat the Wine Installation process; patching the game up to 227i.  After that has finished you can use Wine to launch the game, I made sure to select OpenGL for Graphics and OpenAL for Audio and it launched without any issues.

It was beautiful to watch it load up in all that OpenGL awesomeness.  The graphics look amazing, I then went through all of the standard game configurations.  I also made sure that it saw all of the servers that my Windows Install was able to see.  I then joined Sickpuppy's KOTH and made sure that it played well and that the audio worked.

Before I started on this adventure I had already been digging around and learning how to make my Guild Wars 1 game install and play.  It works flawlessly.  I was able to make an apple script to drop an App link in the Applications Folder to launch the game without having to go through the Terminal to launch the game manually with Wine.

I shared that last bit about the Script because for some unknown reason I am unable to replicate the same for the Unreal game launcher.

So, if any of you awesome coders can help me understand what I'm missing, I might be able to drop an App Link in the Applications Folder to launch Unreal without having to go through the terminal.

------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S.  I have used many game names through the years of Unreal

Lord_Rahl being my original game name I used way back in the day when I had the pleasure of playing with a few Devs and a lot of great helpful players.

I joined ISVK Knights with who I had a great relationship with the leader, whose name escapes me right now.  I loved to alias with friends as A§MD_JunKie_:), later {Fallen Souls} as §FS§Lord_of_Chao§, and lastly I joined AoD {Army of Darkness} with a good friend of mine named Entropy who used to be in DFA {Death From Above} way back in the day.

Sometimes when I play I like to use those names so that should I meet or play with someone from way back then I might spark good memories of days gone by.

I cannot end without including the last Unreal Clan I ever joined and am a member of.

-(DOG)-§moKe-

" Put that in your Pipe and Smoke it Smiley"

"The Law of Unintended Consequences Does Exist; so play clean and frag hard"

IP Logged

Oldunreal member

Re: Unreal on Mac OS High Sierra
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 1:17am
Print Post  
I almost forgot, I decided to launch the Unreal Editor with Wine as well and it launched successfully.  Unfortunately it has been so long since I tried my hand at mapping that I have not tested full functionality to see if it works correctly.  If I manage to successfully start a map, edit a map, and save a map.  That will work I will update this post.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Hey, thank you very much for sharing this!

Perhaps this is a good thing to put into the wiki ? Smiley

To bad I am not allowed to ever publish the native mac port I have...

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Skywolf
Betatester

Just placeholding...

Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Smirftsch wrote on Oct 13th, 2017 at 5:32pm:
To bad I am not allowed to ever publish the native mac port I have...

But what is it just so happens that this port is hosted at some very insecure cloud service and it just so happens someone manages break into this and it just so happens this person leaks it somewhere where everybody can get to it? Just hypothetically speaking of course.

I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament Roll Eyes.

IP Logged

Oldunreal member

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 1:30am
Print Post  
Hello Smirftsch, it's been a long time since we've played or talked.  I knew of the situation with your inability to release the Port after I read it whilst researching how to get Unreal working on this machine.

Once I successfully managed to get this to work, I figured I would put it here on these forums because I believed it would be catalogued.

IP Logged

Oldunreal member

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 1:34am
Print Post  
A§MD_JunKie_:) wrote on Oct 13th, 2017 at 12:57am:
I shared that last bit about the Script because for some unknown reason I am unable to replicate the same for the Unreal game launcher.

So, if any of you awesome coders can help me understand what I'm missing, I might be able to drop an App Link in the Applications Folder to launch Unreal without having to go through the terminal.

IP Logged

Dr.Flay™

ChaosUT-333networks

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 4:52am
Print Post  
Did you not find http://unrealosx.webs.com ?

IP Logged

Oldunreal member

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 9:56am
Print Post  
As a matter of fact I did.  The last comments I read on that site mentioned a breaking of the game on El Capitan.  I tried to post this there as well, unfortunately people have lives and so do forum moderators.  It took a day for me to get approved to access the forums.  As of this moment when I follow the activate link it just says my account is pending, even though I just clicked an activation link for confirmation.  Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I did not see a more current posting of a working way than something 3 years old and that was complaints of the game being broken do to an upgrade of an OS.  Maybe I missed something.

IP Logged

Dr.Flay™

ChaosUT-333networks

Reply #8 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 10:11am
Print Post  
I just sent Arkon a PM about this thread and the problem you found.
Hopefully he will respond soon.
The site twitter account is
https://twitter.com/UnrealOSX

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo