Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic [227][released] Acerak remake (-ish) (Read 239 times)
yrex
Betatester

Oldunreal member

[227][released] Acerak remake (-ish)
Oct 8th, 2017 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Platform: 227i

Screenshots:
https://sites.google.com/site/mojunreal/yrexacerak1.jpg?attredirects=0
https://sites.google.com/site/mojunreal/yrexacerak2.jpg?attredirects=0
https://sites.google.com/site/mojunreal/yrexacerak3.jpg?attredirects=0
https://sites.google.com/site/mojunreal/yrexacerak4.jpg?attredirects=0

Description:
A semi-faithful remake of the unleaked beta map. Includes remakes of the screenshots and lots of new stuff. Essentially, it's a bunch of random corridors and traps with 'Temple' stamped on it. (Although that probably shouldn't be surprising.) Besides that, there's new music, and there are also some areas with different types of challenges than what you usually see in stock Unreal.

Download:
https://sites.google.com/site/mojunreal/2017acerak104.zip?attredirects=0&d=1
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2017 at 4:14pm by yrex »  

Website | ampoyrex at wp dot pl

IP Logged

makemeunreal
Betatester

Unreal maniac

Re: Acerak remake (-ish)
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
If it is only half as awesome as your last rework was then it's still 10 out of 10.
Thank you!

IP Logged

yrex
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Re: Acerak remake (-ish)
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
The map is almost finished, now I'm just testing it and fighting the BSP rebuilder...

I had to change the platform to 227, because otherwise too much stuff was breaking...

IP Logged

yrex
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Re: [227][released] Acerak remake (-ish)
Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Released. See first post.

IP Logged

makemeunreal
Betatester

Unreal maniac

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
I loved every second I spent with it!

It really looks like the actual map, AAA work on that. Really smooth but challengin' gameplay!
Thank you for your work on this one!

IP Logged

AlexNitro44

Oldunreal member

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Great map, manages to pull of the low-poly look well.

It was very challenging, particularly with regard to lack of health and ammo. This made a couple of sections (falling into a hole and confronting two lava slith in water, and the lava slith spawner in the tower) practically impossible. I hardly had any ammo for my weapons, and the dispersion pistol in its stock state does not work well in tight situations. Much of the time my health was below 20, making some of the puzzles punishing if you fall.

Enough of complaints over combat, it's time to talk about what makes this map great: the challenges.

I was faced with many traps, challenges and puzzles in this map, which make it one of the more unique FPS maps I've played. From the tightly timed jumps across a large pit with only a limited time before the door on the other side closes, to the ride on a round platform over a river of lava, these were well thought out and equally challenging. These gave the map its own feel compared to other Unreal maps, and remind me of the tight platforming in games such as Crash Bandicoot (particularly the temple levels feel similar).

Overall, it was a unique experience, and well worth playing. The combat difficulty issues let the map down a little, but everything else works well. Smiley

By the way, I receive a "Can't find map" error at the end, referencing file "UB-FHub4" or something along those lines. Is this map part of a larger project?

IP Logged

yrex
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Well, I am pretty bad at games (or not), so I may have overcompensated the difficulty level. (And also this was only playtested on Medium.) Also, you're supposed to use the crushing movers to kill the sliths in the tower.

I don't know about Crash Bandicoot, but I have played Kao the Kangaroo and Rayman 2, and those games remain a big inspiration for me (that was long before I found Unreal).

Just FYI, this level was inspired by an unleaked beta map and FHub4 was the most logical place for it to end in.

Actually it was a part of a "project", but that project was just a loose collection of maps which were mostly reworks of existing maps. The goal was to recreate, how Unreal could have looked in its mid-to-late-1997 development stage. Old Soledad is another level from this collection.

IP Logged

AlexNitro44

Oldunreal member

Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
yrex wrote on Oct 15th, 2017 at 3:36pm:
Also, you're supposed to use the crushing movers to kill the sliths in the tower.

Strange, they never activated for sliths, only for the player.
Looked in the Editor, and the triggers for these crushers were set to TT_PlayerProximity - is this the problem?

Perhaps part of the issue I was having was that I didn't have the Unreal97 mutator installed, but I thought that if something was missing, the map would not launch.
Going to look at the other map you mentioned - cut content is something that interests me!

IP Logged

yrex
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Reply #8 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Strange, they never activated for sliths, only for the player.
Looked in the Editor, and the triggers for these crushers were set to TT_PlayerProximity - is this the problem?

It's supposed to be like that. When a slith comes under a crusher, you quickly move just close enough to activate it. This requires rather precise timing. (I couldn't do that without reloading multiple times.)

Quote:
Perhaps part of the issue I was having was that I didn't have the Unreal97 mutator installed, but I thought that if something was missing, the map would not launch.

The mutator is completely separate and optional. The maps can be run without it, and it can be also used on other maps. (Although it's recommended to use it to make the game "feel" properly)

EDIT: 128th post!

IP Logged

subzer0

Oldunreal member / Lin
Kuei Warrior

Reply #9 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Enjoyed this very much.
Very creative puzzles but wayyy to many firesliths.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo