Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Something weird with the audio? (Read 260 times)
randymcbuggerchops

Oldunreal member

Something weird with the audio?
Apr 12th, 2017 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Hey, can anyone explain to me this oddity? I play Unreal on Windows 10 using 227i. It works great for the most part... I had to install the patches as an admin and also I can only play the game if I run it as admin but presumably that's something to do with UAC, or DEP, or something... Anyway basically, I noticed something weird with the audio.

I had the game windowed on the main intro screen, I needed to mute it briefly and since I had the Volume Mixer open at the time (from right0clicking on the speaker icon in the taskbar) I just clicked on the speaker for Unreal to mute it. It muted the music, but not the sound effects.

I could still hear all the wind sounds and the swamp noises and stuff as the camera panned around Nali Castle intro map. The only way I could mute everything was by muting my device speakers, which of course mutes the entire system anyway.

Why is this? I know the game uses OpenAL now and ALAudio uses FMOD to play the music specifically but why is the rest of the audio not part of the Unreal volume in the mixer?

Thanks in advanced! Cheesy

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Re: Something weird with the audio?
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 5:34am
Print Post  
Hello and welcome Smiley

Sure you are using ALAudio? Although offering OpenAL it is not the only audio renderer included.
But either way, this sounds like a bug to me. Will verify with the latest build here.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

randymcbuggerchops

Oldunreal member

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Hello!

Ah, I've noticed something else now that you mention ALAudio. I always presumed it just defaults to using ALAudio and I've never tinkered with the audio settings under advanced options although having just looked I can see the ALAudio device is set to the "defaultdevice" apparently. In the drop down I can either pick from default device, software device or my sound card. Presumably the default and the sound card options will be identical anyway but if I pick Software, exit the game and restart, this weird issue no longer occurs.

So whatever it is, it seems to be to do with my sound card drivers I guess?

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Perhaps, what soundcard is it?

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

randymcbuggerchops

Oldunreal member

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Auzentech X-Fi Prelude. It's pretty old (circa 2007) and the drivers haven't been updated since 2011, although there's this guy called daniel_k that makes updated support packages for old creative drivers and he does one that include the driver for my card so it works on Windows 8/10.

I've not had any issues with it though. I mean, this thing with Unreal isn't really an issue I suppose, it's just a bit odd. But looks like it's nothing to do with Unreal anyway. I just tried Bioshock since I remembered that's UnrealEngine, and I believe it uses the same implementation as Unreal 227 in so much as it has OpenAL and FMOD. Muted bioshock.exe in the volume mixer and the same exact thing happens; musics gone but sound effects aren't (for the most part).

I did some digging around, about FMOD in particular since that seems to be the thing that gets muted, not OpenAL provided the ALAudio engine is running hardware accelerated. I might be wrong because the info I came across seemed third or fourth hand but FMOD appears to be software based if it's running on Vista or above, it isn't like OpenAL in as it can't communicate with the HAL directly without the need for Direct X Audio (DirectSound and DirectSound3D).

So I'm guessing that'd be why the sound gets muted. The game's outputting two lots of audio; hardware accelerated from ALAudio, which is ignored by the Windows volume mixer for some reason, and software emulated by FMOD, which isn't ignored. Hence why when I mute the sound the software emulated FMOD audio gets muted only. And there goes the music.

Still odd though, but yea nothing to do with Unreal 227 (directly at any rate). Can't help but feel it's nothing to do with my sound card drivers either - I reckons this is all down to Windows 10! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo