Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic NaliMail [WIP] (Read 335 times)
Bleeder91[NL]
Betatester

Personal Text:

NaliMail [WIP]
Feb 26th, 2017 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
This mod will allow players to send haboudjee-mails to each other on a single server. Works as a mutator and stores the mails encrypted so that the serverhost can't snoop around.

Temporary interface:

Future plans:
- Allow sending of items as attachments.
- Have a master server to allow cross-server mails.

Looking for:
Someone to get this working properly with me.

Progress:
[##### - - - - -] 50%
Still needs some bugfixing and replication fixing. The sending and receiving part is already functional offline.
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2017 at 6:33pm by Bleeder91[NL] »  
IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Oldunreal MasterPoster

nedm

Re: NaliMail [WIP]
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 2:55am
Print Post  
bad ass man, way to in a single post be magnificent as hell

I'm excited about this

what do you need?

as I see it, if we want this to work on multiple servers we'd need a central place to host it, and probably encryption before it leaves the server or maybe even the client. Perhaps the clients themselves do all the interactions with the server, and the unreal server merely hosts the mod so that people can use it. It could even be implemented in 227s mod menu, or jgrass's gui thing. tl;dr the mail send/to from API maybe shouldn't be locked down so there can be different ways to use it.

I have a webserver that I could give you access to for databases, writing any php code, etc you need that will be permanent and free. you could of course also host any files you need, etc. you can pick  any subdomain name you want, or.. I could just buy a domain name for you. pm me about this if you desire it.

If I can find it, I have a few examples of using TCP Links to "get" php pages to interact with them as a database.

In the meantime, you could use my sqlite3 database mod if you plan only to host this on an individual server. I'm sure that supports built in encryption of some kind

I think  we should come up with a user/login schema with a known alias search to begin with,  because people do not always use their normal names, or known ones. I haven't used this forum name in game quite a while (Several years), because I just want people to treat me like a normal user.. but it would be nice if players could search for THIS name and be able to send mail to it, too. Maybe just an ID number of some kind too.. no idea we can figure that out later.

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Oldunreal MasterPoster

nedm

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 3:53am
Print Post  
Double post, but

my webservice is also capable of sending people real emails that they have messages on the system, if so desired.

IP Logged

han
Global Moderator
Unreal Rendering Guru
Developer Team

Oldunreal member

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 7:09am
Print Post  
Bleeder91[NL] wrote on Feb 26th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
- Have a master server to allow cross-server mails.

Spam protection needs to considered for this too.

HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Oldunreal MasterPoster

nedm

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 8:05am
Print Post  
Indeed, perhaps mail can only be sent once the other user "accepts" that they can send them mail, sort of like a friend request. That way it lessens the chance of abuse

IP Logged

Dr.Flay™

ChaosUT-333networks

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 7:23am
Print Post  
Cross-server mail crossed my mind also.
I also posted a link to this in the 333networks chat, so maybe we can get a discussion going on the feasibility and security.

Spoofing needs to be protected against some way or spam will be the least of your problems.
...but how to do it without creating new accounts or making an account system ?

333networks is adding accounts to the next version of the site so it could be linked to those maybe.

Maybe Jabber could be useful here for user account validation, as many existing IDs will work with it.

Tie it to OpenID ? the user can link various accounts to it.

Free MIME email Certificates could also be an option. Mumble uses this approach so they don't generate or keep user account details. It is a system that is also built in to all OSs.

Handling servers as Domains could be a pain with the crazy names people set, and relying on the IP is no good for people on dynamic IPs.

Definitely needs further discussion with some network-bods.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo