Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) a map idea (Read 2478 times)
Liquid_Snake

YOUR TOO LATE!!

a map idea
Aug 25th, 2015 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
I think Seattle would make a very good DM map. what do you guys think?

I want no more accidents like that DARPA chief.

IP Logged

Solid_Snake FirePhoenix

stray lone wolf

Re: a map idea
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2015 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
hmm that would be cool. like maybe the space needle can have working elevators or something.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2015 at 6:24am
Print Post  
so what are you waiting for? Could be half done already!

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Pik

Oldunreal member

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
City maps are easy to think, but nearly impossible to build.

Easy to hink because if you put many blocks, open streets and carve the inside of buildings, that's not too hard.

But if you want it to look real, with proper scale, photoshoped textures, lights with proper brightness and radius, objects everywhere filling the spaces, etc. You are going to have a lifetime job making it.

Problem with city and outdoor maps in unreal is that unless everything is flat, blocky and you use minimal windows and very large surfaces that occlude large partions of the player's sight, the engine is going to lose a lot of fps.

IP Logged

Skywolf
Betatester

Just placeholding...

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Indeed. The problem is that Unreal doesnt support any kind of LoD (Level of Detail) in BSP. So creating large open-world maps will cause huge performance issues at best and completely break due to BSP bugs at worst. Although you can somewhat fix the LoD issue using DistanceFog clipping but doing this in any meaningfull way means you will pretty much have to create Silent Hill in order to get any decent FPS.

Case and point: there is somewhere a map called RealCity. It uses pretty basic geometry and still causes a huge strain on the framerate even though it really isnt that big to begin with.

If you really want to create Seattle I would recommend taking alot of liberty with the layout. Or only making the Space Needle and make that into a fully detailed map with the city being the skybox.

I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament Roll Eyes.

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Skywolf wrote on Aug 27th, 2015 at 8:18pm:
you will pretty much have to create Silent Hill in order to get any decent FPS.

I'm ok with this. Much better map idea

IP Logged

gopostal
Betatester

Retired

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
There's a dinosaur themed monsterhunt map that's a single room that pretty much takes up an entire slice of the available plane in the editor. It all works great though because line-of-sight is broken up to never begin to approach engine limits. You wander around in these steep canyons that all interconnect but are done in such a way that you don't get to see too far from any single point. If you really are going to build a city it will only work if you keep the players from climbing up into the buildings. You can't limit sight length if that happens.

Build a wild west town or middle class residential 'hood and if you are careful about staggering streets you could maybe get away with a pretty damn big map. You'd need to occlude views with hedges (Bring me a shrubbery!) and tall wooden fences, garages, etc but it could be done.

BTW just as a test I made a map and tested it online that stacked 5 of the open-world MH maps on top of each other, joined by teleporters. Square meters-wise it was a magnitude larger than anything else I'd ever seen but it did indeed work just fine. As long as you stay under the node limit the engine doesn't seem to care how large the map area is. I did this when I was playing around with making a DayZ-type mod and it really needs a big space to use.

I'm outta here. C ya!

IP Logged

Buster
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2015 at 3:59am
Print Post  
I think there's a need for more well designed cityscape maps. There's a few tricks to doing them with some of the limitations of the Unreal 1's BSP. The first is to limit the players access to certain exterior areas, and create the sense of vastness using the background and skybox. Zone all interior areas. Making the lighting a night time scene, or at least dimmer. Lights can be used in the background and skybox to give the illusion of distance. Make three or four parts instead of one and use an interior area or enclosed space as a warp portal to seemlessly move between them. In the editor, each can have their own backgrounds, etc. Something like they did in the Turok series. Make sure to include the shadows that the building make themselves. Also, placing different random background sounds around the map helps to create the illusion of activity beyond the players access. Voices behind apartment doors, etc. It's really about creating the illusion of vastness in a small space.

OK - he falls
IP Logged

Liquid_Snake

YOUR TOO LATE!!

Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2015 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
the problem is I have no idea how to use unreal ed! Angry Cry

I want no more accidents like that DARPA chief.

IP Logged

Skywolf
Betatester

Just placeholding...

Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2015 at 8:57pm
Print Post  

I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament Roll Eyes.

IP Logged

Solid_Snake FirePhoenix

stray lone wolf

Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2015 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
one problem.... why is there not a regular standalone patch for the editor? because I cannot get the community patch at the moment. is there a way I can replace the faulty unrealed file without the CP?

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #11 - Sep 2nd, 2015 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Solid_Snake FirePhoenix wrote on Sep 1st, 2015 at 7:02pm:
one problem.... why is there not a regular standalone patch for the editor? because I cannot get the community patch at the moment. is there a way I can replace the faulty unrealed file without the CP?

You can't because the editor is not really a standalone program. It ties deeply into the engine itself, which is why, on one hand, you can have actual preview in the game engine in the 3d Viewport, but can't use a third-party editor on the other hand.

Making it so that UnrealEd can be patched alone is a bit more complex than just extracting the UnrealEd updates from the 227 patch, so basically you'd be asking Smirftsch to develop two patches: one for UnrealEd alone, one for Unreal. Not impossible at all, but I'm not sure he has the time and energy to do so.

The old UnrealEd is not really "faulty" either, it's just not a very good editor in itself.

I'll add that there's no reason not to take the full 227 anyway, so...

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #12 - Sep 2nd, 2015 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The old UnrealEd is not really "faulty" either

Somewhat-random VB error messages invalidating everything in the editor and making you unable to save your map or scripts is pretty faulty.. damn those unrealed goblins. Aside from that it does work properly though.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #13 - Sep 2nd, 2015 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
[]KAOS[]Casey wrote on Sep 2nd, 2015 at 4:16pm:
Quote:
The old UnrealEd is not really "faulty" either

Somewhat-random VB error messages invalidating everything in the editor and making you unable to save your map or scripts is pretty faulty.. damn those unrealed goblins. Aside from that it does work properly though.

True, but I can't say it's a regular occurence. At least it wasn't when I used it.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #14 - Sep 2nd, 2015 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
In any case you should be saving and backing up often anyway -- who knows what might happen!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo