Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Translator messages (Read 3084 times)
V00D00

Oldunreal member

Translator messages
May 19th, 2015 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Was just wondering how many secret translator messages there were in Unreal1.
By this I mean ones that are impossible to reach without cheating (ie. flying or summoning boots).
For instance the hilarious message at the cow on the map NaliC2 does not count for the purposes of this.

Here's the ones I guess we know best:-

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

DIG      "What the hell are you doing up here?"
DIG      "You are SO dead."
DUG     "Canada is really cold. I like Dos Equis beer. My cats are fuzzy."
DUG     "Come on in, the Lava's fine!"
DUG     "Craig is Grand Master Doofus."
NALIC   "What the HELL are you doing up here?"      

Just wondered if anyone knew of others, seems to be a huge gap in maps without them between DUG and NALIC Smiley

Anyone?

Everything in moderation, including moderation.....

IP Logged

Lurker

UnrealEd Modder, Mapper
& Coder since 1998

Re: Translator messages
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2015 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Well, from a technical point of view I can tell you that a translator message is stored as a string of a TranslatorEvent trigger class. The object reference names are stored in the Name Table of each *.unr map package. I'm currently coding reader and exporter tools which can list all the entries in the Name Table of an Unreal Map Package. See Undying forum.

In this case the objects would be listed and named as "TranslatorEvent?" (? being a random number). Each TranslatorEvent object stores also the exact XYZ location of the trigger on the map which displays the translator message, so this information can be exported, read and listed aswell for each Unreal1 map. In Unreal itself you can activate a debugger which shows your current XYZ position in the world. This way you could backtrack TranslatorEvent locations ingame. There is also a feature in UnrealEd to jump to a specified class.

For example, Dug.unr has 7 TranslatorEvents in total, listed in its Name Table in the following order:

Code
Select All
TranslatorEvent4
TranslatorEvent16
TranslatorEvent18
TranslatorEvent17
TranslatorEvent12
TranslatorEvent3
TranslatorEvent2 

I've already scanned Name Tables of all Unreal1 and RTNP .unr maps for TranslatorEvent Objects and almost all of the original maps include translator messages in some form. Whether those are secret messages or normal messages is another question, however.

But I can confirm that there are no gaps in translator messages in original Unreal1 Singleplayer Maps.
You just seem to have missed some of them, as most of us have.  Wink

IP Logged

.:..:
Oldunreal MasterPoster
Developer Team

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2015 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Well if you have 227, you can run through every map UCC.exe Editor.DumpInt <mapname> (i.e: UCC.exe Editor.DumpInt Dug).
That'll create an int file for the map where you can read all the translator events in the map.

Shivaxi wrote on Jul 25th, 2013 at 12:50pm:
...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD Tongue

(ಠ_ಠ)
ICQYIM  
IP Logged

Lurker

UnrealEd Modder, Mapper
& Coder since 1998

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2015 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
.:..: wrote on May 20th, 2015 at 3:24pm:
Well if you have 227, you can run through every map UCC.exe Editor.DumpInt <mapname> (i.e: UCC.exe Editor.DumpInt Dug).
That'll create an int file for the map where you can read all the translator events in the map.

Interesting. I didn't know that someone has added a custom function DumpInt to UCC.exe of v227, specifically to Editor.u / Editor.dll system files. The original UCC of v226 and those of almost all UE1-based Games do not feature that function. It usually exits with the following Log error message if you ran it with the given commandline:

Code
Select All
UCC.exe Editor.DumpInt Dug.unr

Log: =======================================
Log: ucc.exe: UnrealOS execution environment
Log: Copyright 1999 Epic Games Inc
Log:
Log: Commandlet Editor.DumpInt not found
Exit: appPreExit 

This log is from UCC of Unreal v226f.

IP Logged

Lurker

UnrealEd Modder, Mapper
& Coder since 1998

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2015 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
I just found all commandlets that were ever implemented in all the different UCC's, listed on BeyondUnreal's Wiki page:

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Commandlet

Tons of commandlets to explore. But most of them are only available in UCC's of higher engine versions and games, such as UE2, UT2004, UE3, etc. The old UE1 engine has the basic commandlets such as "batchexport" and "make" most of the time.

And yeah, the DumpIntCommandlet is not a mod actually but a common commandlet in UnrealEngine. My mistake, I haven't realized it until now. However, this commandlet is included in Unreal 227 only and none of the other old UE1-based games, not even in Undying which has the following ones:

Code
Select All
Undying UCC.exe
ucc.exe Editor.DumpInt
ucc.exe Editor.DumpIntCommandlet
Log: ucc.exe: UnrealOS execution environment
Log: Copyright 1999 Epic Games Inc
Log:
Log: Commandlet Editor.DumpInt not found
Log: Available Commandlets are:
Log: Core.HelloWorldCommandlet
Log: Editor.MasterCommandlet
Log: Editor.MakeCommandlet
Log: Editor.ConformCommandlet
Log: Editor.BatchExportCommandlet
Log: Editor.MergeDXTCommandlet
Log: Editor.PSX2ConvertCommandlet
Log: Editor.CompressCommandlet
Log: Engine.ServerCommandlet
Log: IpDrv.UpdateServerCommandlet
Log: IpDrv.MasterServerCommandlet

So you can DumpInt in Unreal 227 only. To export strings and other data from maps of other UE1-based games or if you run Unreal 226 only then you need custom tools or script your own commandlet class for UCC.exe  Wink

IP Logged

BobIsUnreal
God Member

Guy who has too much time
invested to quit now

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2015 at 6:22pm
Print Post  

[REM_img]http://i.imgur.com/V3OSsDu.gif.disable[/img]http://i.imgur.com/JOu38Gs.gif
IP Logged

V00D00

Oldunreal member

Reply #6 - May 21st, 2015 at 2:04am
Print Post  
BobIsUnreal wrote on May 20th, 2015 at 6:22pm:

Thanks Bob. Yeh they only list 2 "easter egg" messages there, 1 in DIG and 1 in NALIC.
I already got 6 in my list!

Lurker wrote on May 20th, 2015 at 3:10pm:
But I can confirm that there are no gaps in translator messages in original Unreal1 Singleplayer Maps.

I have no idea what question you are answering (interesting though your answer was).

No, my very simple question was about "translator messages that are impossible to reach without cheating (ie. flying or summoning boots)". Guess they must have only put 6 easter egg translator messages in. Just thought maybe there were more. I mean if they put 2 in DIG and 3 in DUG, I thought maybe I had missed some between DUG and NALIC (and after NALIC). Maybe they got bored after DUG then thought wth we'll add another one on the title screen map......

EDIT
----
Guess you could rocket/asmd jump to the easter egg translator message at the cow hut on NALIC map Smiley

IP Logged

Nalirus

Oldunreal member

Another easter eggs
Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2015 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Maybe you know about it, guys, but when nali meditate, and you see he and change brightness level, he is disappear with sound like teleportation.

IP Logged

V00D00

Oldunreal member

Re: Another easter eggs
Reply #8 - May 27th, 2015 at 11:46am
Print Post  

Nalirus wrote on May 22nd, 2015 at 4:18pm:
Maybe you know about it, guys, but when nali meditate, and you see he and change brightness level, he is disappear with sound like teleportation.

I think you made a reply to this thread when you should have created a new thread. I suggest posting in the "Anything else" or the "General" section Smiley

IP Logged

Pedi

IPedii

Reply #9 - May 30th, 2015 at 11:36am
Print Post  
I think the easiest way to find all translator events is to open UnrealED, goto Edit -> Search for Actors...
Wink

IP Logged

V00D00

Oldunreal member

Reply #10 - May 30th, 2015 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Pedi wrote on May 30th, 2015 at 11:36am:
I think the easiest way to find all translator events is to open UnrealED, goto Edit -> Search for Actors...
Wink

Well - yeh.

You missed the question. The question was about....

"translator messages that are impossible to reach without cheating (ie. flying or summoning boots)"

ie. Easter egg translator messages. Wink

Looking for ALL messages in the editor will not reveal which are "impossible to reach without cheating." That requires actual knowledge and the playing of all of the levels.

DIG
---
"What the hell are you doing up here?" (cannot be reached without JumpBoots)

DIG
---
"You are SO dead." (cannot be reached without AsbestosSuit)

DUG
----
"Canada is really cold. I like Dos Equis beer. My cats are fuzzy." (cannot be reached without JumpBoots)

DUG
----
"Come on in, the Lava's fine!"  (cannot be reached without AsbestosSuit)

DUG
----
"Craig is Grand Master Doofus." (cannot be reached without JumpBoots)

NALIC
------
"What the HELL are you doing up here?"  (cannot be reached without JumpBoots)

I guess Nali Castle is not one of them now, since it can be reached with an 8ball jump and the player could have an eightball in their possession at this point in the campaign.

So I guess it's 5. I was hoping there more as well but seems not.
There's 5 within the first 3 maps and then they stopped putting them in! Pity because it's an area of the game I really enjoyed - secret hunting!
I want my money back.....

IP Logged

Kajgue
Global Moderator
Betatester

Super-sexy-Kung-Fu-H
obo-sunva-bitch

Reply #11 - May 31st, 2015 at 7:15am
Print Post  
There's also one right at the end of RTNP, down the pit that the warlord appears out of on NaliC2.

I don't remember what the content of it is, however. Sad

AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard

Whistleblower Ted Gunderson
IP Logged

V00D00

Oldunreal member

Reply #12 - May 31st, 2015 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Kajgue wrote on May 31st, 2015 at 7:15am:
There's also one right at the end of RTNP, down the pit that the warlord appears out of on NaliC2.

Thanks Kajgue, I had forgotten about those crazy messages on the crucified Nalis!
(I have never played RTNP maps offline)

Nice one.  Smiley

IP Logged

Beemo The Heartless

Woof woof!

Reply #13 - Jun 1st, 2015 at 6:45am
Print Post  
Kajgue wrote on May 31st, 2015 at 7:15am:

I don't remember what the content of it is, however. Sad

Huh, I never heard of that one. I'll have to check it out.

Gibilicious!

IP Logged

Lurker

UnrealEd Modder, Mapper
& Coder since 1998

Reply #14 - Jun 1st, 2015 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
V00D00 wrote on May 21st, 2015 at 2:04am:
Lurker wrote on May 20th, 2015 at 3:10pm:

I have no idea what question you are answering (interesting though your answer was).

No, my very simple question was about "translator messages that are impossible to reach without cheating (ie. flying or summoning boots)". Guess they must have only put 6 easter egg translator messages in. Just thought maybe there were more. I mean if they put 2 in DIG and 3 in DUG, I thought maybe I had missed some between DUG and NALIC (and after NALIC). Maybe they got bored after DUG then thought wth we'll add another one on the title screen map......

So you want to find Easter Egg translator messages which require cheating such as ghost or flymode. Yeah, and I explained to you technically how you can backtrack and find every single one of those by internally reading the Unreal map packages (*.unr) manually with a hex editor or quickly with one of my upcoming exporter tools (still in development). Or with the "UCC.exe Editor.DumpInt" commandline for Unreal 227, as others have suggested.

Because I'm assuming that you don't know the exact location of those secret translator messages in the particular map, such as DUG, do you?

Because I don't know all of them and I guess many players don't know or remember them aswell.

Quote:
EDIT
----
Guess you could rocket/asmd jump to the easter egg translator message at the cow hut on NALIC map Smiley

Aha, okay. So it sounds like you DO KNOW the exact locations of all the secret translator messages in Unreal. So what's your problem then going or flying to those locations during game? I don't quite understand your issue here.

It seems there is some confusion on this subject.
Either you didn't get my reply or I don't understand your question and help request in the first place.  Huh

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo