Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Klingon Honor Guard v1.1 Driver Pack (OpenGL/Glide, IV50 Codec) (Read 16290 times)
han
Global Moderator
Unreal Rendering Guru
Developer Team

Oldunreal member

Re: Klingon Honor Guard v1.1 Driver Pack (OpenGL/Glide, IV50 Codec)
Reply #15 - May 15th, 2015 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Right i added one there. Forgot about it. Did you use an 8bit file splash file?
However, try this one:
http://coding.hanfling.de/launch/release/Logo.bmp
Maybe i copied over my KHG.ini to Klingons.ini, can't remember anymore.

HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.

IP Logged

Lurker

UnrealEd Modder, Mapper
& Coder since 1998

Reply #16 - May 16th, 2015 at 1:32am
Print Post  
han wrote on May 15th, 2015 at 8:58pm:
Right i added one there. Forgot about it. Did you use an 8bit file splash file?
However, try this one:
http://coding.hanfling.de/launch/release/Logo.bmp
Maybe i copied over my KHG.ini to Klingons.ini, can't remember anymore.

No, still doesn't work. Sorry.

Your Logo.bmp splash for KHG is 512x384 (16bit).
My Logo.bmp splash is 640x480 (16bit) from the KHG Retail CD.
It is originally located in a directory called \Goodies and named TileScreen640.bmp.

Khg.exe itself uses an 8bit splash in a lower resolution, which is embedded as a resource at the end of the exe.

I zipped both splashes and the original KHG launcher from 1998. Subdir ..\Han\ includes your launcher and splash, ..\Lurker\ includes the 1998 versions. Both launcher versions do not work with KHG v1.1 and will exit with a critical error.

You can download the zip from my temporal MEGA cloud folder. I also included all the exported classes (*.uc) from KHG. I uploaded this for convenience and experimentation only. Those are temporal and unofficial packs.

Folder Name: LurkerPacks
Folder Link: https://mega.co.nz/#F!JwUUGJKb!L1ILmBu-r-UKyMZkSiVSmQ
Temp Files:
KHG_Classes.zip
KHG_Launcher_alpha1.zip

The Classes pack includes AVITeleporter.uc and AVITrigger.uc from the WinDrv.u package which is bound to the DLL. This means that KHG's video file management and playavi function are really included in the WinDrv.dll native library.
Each of the KHG singleplayer missions (M??.unr) have an AviTeleporter Trigger Actor (subclass of Unreal's common Teleporter) placed at some location which ends the current level, plays one or a sequence of AVI cutscene/briefing videos specified and then loads the next map or part as usual.

IP Logged

han
Global Moderator
Unreal Rendering Guru
Developer Team

Oldunreal member

Reply #17 - May 16th, 2015 at 9:30am
Print Post  
My Launcher expects the Logo.bmp in Help dir. And the file i uploaded is not 16 bit.

/edit:
Seems to make no difference anyway if i remove Splash Screen code.

/edit2:
Put a bit of effort in the launcher:
http://coding.hanfling.de/launch/release/Klingons-14052016.zip

Should now work (TM). But i noticed once the game start to not progress on first screen it seems to help to delete Khg.ini/Klingons.ini.

/edit3:
Some more:
http://coding.hanfling.de/launch/release/Klingons-14052016-1.zip
Noticed that if you start a listen server the setting for servers in ini file affects the tickrate (default is 15).

/edit4:
Disabling DirectDraw seems out to disable the videos too.

/edit5:
Yeah i know, i am a year ahead -.-
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2015 at 9:39pm by han »  

IP Logged

han
Global Moderator
Unreal Rendering Guru
Developer Team

Oldunreal member

Reply #18 - May 16th, 2015 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
So finally i got some OpenGL rendering working, config settings are in the readme.
http://coding.hanfling.de/launch/release/OpenGLDrv-Klingons-11-20150516.zip

@Lurker: And you should actually ask before just including and reuploading my stuff.

IP Logged

Lurker

UnrealEd Modder, Mapper
& Coder since 1998

Reply #19 - May 18th, 2015 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
han wrote on May 16th, 2015 at 9:41pm:
So finally i got some OpenGL rendering working, config settings are in the readme.
http://coding.hanfling.de/launch/release/OpenGLDrv-Klingons-11-20150516.zip

Thanks. I'll check that out today...

Quote:
@Lurker: And you should actually ask before just including and reuploading my stuff.

Alright, I removed the particular zip from my public cloud folder. Don't worry, next time I ask you for permission. Notice that the folder is not part of my official ModDB and only used for temporal UnrealEngine-related files, aswell as unfinished and/or buggy alpha and beta versions of various stuff, which are added and removed on the fly anyway. And the small zip was intended for you as an example actually, so you could grab my splash logo bitmap and KHG's 1998 launcher too, so I could assist you with the development of your launcher. Wink

Perhaps we can collaborate to get your Launcher up and running anyway...

IP Logged

Knight_KenF

Oldunreal member

Reply #20 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 6:00am
Print Post  
Hi, i installed KHG and patched to v1.1 without using your driver pack, the game worked fine on 3dfx(using nGlide) and after installing your pack the game changed from 3dfx to OpenGl rendering mode and when i go to advanced options and try to change it to 3dfx i got a warning message "Can't find file for package 'GlideDrv' and also for the movie after installing indeo when i use the command "regsvr32 ir50_32.dll" it says:

"The module "ir50_32.dll" failed to load.

Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.

The specified module could not be found."

I would like to desactivate all the ingame movie though if anyone know how to it would be nice.
Thanks for the work you've done and support.

IP Logged

Lurker

UnrealEd Modder, Mapper
& Coder since 1998

Reply #21 - Jul 12th, 2015 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Knight_KenF wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 6:00am:
Hi, i installed KHG and patched to v1.1 without using your driver pack, the game worked fine on 3dfx(using nGlide) and after installing your pack the game changed from 3dfx to OpenGl rendering mode and when i go to advanced options and try to change it to 3dfx i got a warning message "Can't find file for package 'GlideDrv' and also for the movie after installing indeo when i use the command "regsvr32 ir50_32.dll" it says:

"The module "ir50_32.dll" failed to load.

Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.

The specified module could not be found."

Hello KenF.

After running the "IV50 Video Codec Driver" Installer (exe file) which I have provided in the pack, the library "ir50_32.dll" needs to be located in the "C:\Windows\System32\" directory. If your dll is not located there then you should manually copy it to that location and execute regsvr32.exe again which is also located in the same directory.

It is also important that you execute regsvr32.exe as an administrator at DOS console!

However, if you have properly executed the exe-installer for the IV50 codec then you don't need to register the library manually again since the installer already did the job for you.

Please note that regsvr32.exe is a Windows tool with which one can register and install DLL libraries manually one by one, generally speaking. It's for experts only and people who know what they are doing. If you run a software installer, like when you usually download software for Windows as an .exe or .msi package, then the installer does it all for you automatically in the background.

Again, if you have problems installing the IV50 Video Codec Driver onto your Windows then either relaunch the exe-installer or download a video codec pack which includes IV50 and install that, for example. It shouldn't be a big problem to install the needed video codec driver in Windows.

After you have successfully installed the IV50 video codec you can also open, edit, record or create your own AVI movies for KHG with VirtualDub, or edit the existing ones:

http://www.virtualdub.org/

Quote:
I would like to desactivate all the ingame movie though if anyone know how to it would be nice.
Thanks for the work you've done and support.

Well, as I said in my previous posts, the ingame movies can only be deactivated when you remove the references in KHG's mission maps (M??.unr) themselves and if you edit some of the .uc classes (see names above) aswell which refer to the AVI files and which execute them via console.

However, I'm going to experiment with the AVITeleporter.uc and AVITrigger.uc classes and see if I can change and recompile the scripts in way that a) AVI movies are not being played during game and b) the AVI references in the mission maps don't need to be edited, because AVITeleporter and AVITrigger would return nothing.

If I have something useful then I will publish it in my new UnrealScript code repository on my GitHub........

IP Logged

Knight_KenF

Oldunreal member

Reply #22 - Jul 13th, 2015 at 7:45am
Print Post  
Hello, thank you for your reply and indeed i didn't had the file "ir50_32.dll" inside system32 and inside C:\microprose\khg\Movies\Driver there's a text file named "videodriver" which tell how to install it with the command promprt.
But once again when i install the driver pack my screen got minimized and i can't change it back to 3dfx.
And When i start a new game on OpenGl renderer the first cutscene starts slowly and after it's end the game just doesn't respond so i have to alt-ctrl-delete or sometimes the game crash after the cutscene without any message.
Can you tell me more about removing ingame movie? I don't get removing reference, can you give me an example?

Yesterday when i played on 3dfx(before installing the driver pack) game went fine after the first level, the 2nd level cutscene kept repeating after and after(about 3times) and the game crashed.

Thanks for your help and sorry for my english.

IP Logged

forhekset

Oldunreal member

Reply #23 - Jul 26th, 2015 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Hey Lurker

First, thanks for your work on this pack, it's great that people still care about the old games. Now, for the reason why I registered here:

1) Could you help me setting up the resolution? The native solution of my monitor is 1920*1200. I'm using a MSI GTX 970 graphics card. I would like to play in 1920*1200. But if that isn't possible or too much of a hassle, I'll play with lower res. The only thing then left to fix would be problem 2 which I described below.

2) Also: after installing your pack, if I start khg, the game is not starting full screen. There's just a screen appearing, without borders. If I use the "toggle fullscreen" option in the game, it still doesn't display fullscreen and simply adds your typical Microsoft Window Borders to the screen (i.e. I now have the option to close the window or to minimize it, etc). Is there any way to fix this other than to set the game resolution to my native solution?

Before I installed your pack, the game started in 1024*something, fullscreen.

Any help is appreciated (especially resolution-wise). =)
PS: I'm from Switzerland, kannst mir auch ne PM schreiben, falls den Thread nicht für derlei Detail-Instruktionen beladen willst. ^^

peace

IP Logged

Scar73

Oldunreal member

Reply #24 - Aug 26th, 2015 at 5:01am
Print Post  
Late ...I know. The max res is err was 1152x864 now its working @1680x1050(forgot to change GameRenderDevice=OGlDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice to GameRenderDevice=OpenGlDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice)[*ReShade now works*]. Awesome to get some higher resolutions but I don't think the font can get any smaller! Wink One thing I have been messing around with is adding extra "CVARS" to the khg.ini s Renderer options taking extra missing and or unique commands from all the Unreal engine games and trying it all at once. Has somewhat interesting results although I'm mostly messing with KHG ATM. Awesome flippin n fightin game..lol
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2015 at 8:53pm by Scar73 »  

IP Logged

Delacroix
Betatester

Lord of the Dark Glyphs

Reply #25 - Nov 12th, 2015 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Can these movies be converted to something futureproof like .bik format and the script/classes updated accordingly? It'd help a great deal as it would essentially remove the need for separate codecs.

IP Logged

han
Global Moderator
Unreal Rendering Guru
Developer Team

Oldunreal member

Reply #26 - Nov 12th, 2015 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Basically converting them to anything DirectShow compatible (while keeping the filename) should work.

IP Logged

Delacroix
Betatester

Lord of the Dark Glyphs

Reply #27 - Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
han wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 1:01pm:
Basically converting them to anything DirectShow compatible (while keeping the filename) should work.

But thing is, BINK isn't directshow compatible out of the box (I think playing binks in WMP would require some codec too) whereas changing stuff to bik support in the game would permanently fix the problem as the game would play it using binkw32.dll and not use directshow.

IP Logged

han
Global Moderator
Unreal Rendering Guru
Developer Team

Oldunreal member

Reply #28 - Nov 12th, 2015 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Video playback is handled by WinDrv native code, although it is started by uc code. But if you do make some kind of video playback implementation the ViewportManager would probably the best spot to put it. So you could port over SDL2Drv, add bing video playback support to it and fix the annoying some window remains after video playback issue (along a long list of deficiences this old WinDrv package has).

Or you convert the videos to sth. DirectShow supports, MPEG1 or sth and it should work without any need for additional codecs or much work.

But if you port SDL2Drv over I would suggest giving SMPEG a try. But well, then you have MPEG1 again, no preferences or log window, but at least a useable ViewportManager.

IP Logged

han
Global Moderator
Unreal Rendering Guru
Developer Team

Oldunreal member

Reply #29 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 3:40am
Print Post  
To abuse these thread even further for my own stuff:

Looks like i have found a way to get rid of that annoying black window on top after playing videos. But to be honest, I have no idea if that if that OpenGLDrv is based on the same source as the release above, but I should get some proper codebase for KHG going anyway...

http://coding.hanfling.de/launch/release/OpenGLDrv-Klingons-11-20151115.zip

For those interessted in details:
Just some SetWindowPos( Viewport->GetWindow(), HWND_TOPMOST, ... ) at the end of SetRes().

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo