Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) HUD scaling (Read 7017 times)
Masterkent
Developer Team

HUD scaling
Feb 3rd, 2015 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
A lot of modern laptops have full HD displays (whose native resolution is 1920x1080) with high DPI (due to small screen size, such as 15.6" or 17.3"). Default fonts look tiny on such displays.

While menus and console support scaling (in accordance with UMenu.UMenuRootWindow.GUIScale stored in Unreal.ini), standard HUD items (icons and text) remain very small. Are there any plans to add HUD scaling in 227?

IP Logged

Delacroix
Betatester

Lord of the Dark Glyphs

Re: HUD scaling
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2015 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
There was a HD HUD project by GcSkaarj but it was aborted. I'll ask around whether or not someone wishes to restart it.

IP Logged

Skywolf
Betatester

Just placeholding...

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2015 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
To be honest. I don't even care too much for having the icons and text a higher resolution. Just being able to read them without pushing my face against the screen would be enough for me. Rendering the HUD in a larger scale couldn't be that hard to implement, right?

I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament Roll Eyes.

IP Logged

han
Global Moderator
Unreal Rendering Guru
Developer Team

Oldunreal member

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2015 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Skywolf wrote on Feb 3rd, 2015 at 7:45pm:
Rendering the HUD in a larger scale couldn't be that hard to implement, right?

Should be pretty much like spent 10 minutes multiplying each hardcoded value in UnrealHUD with some config property. Use another 20 minutes to get it mostly right, spend the next two days fixing remaining issue. ^^

/edit:
Better solution would be to boot up a wrapper for UCanvas which handles the scaling by itsself. (Multiply time values mentioned above with some config setting too).

HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.

IP Logged

スマイル・ドラゴン
Betatester

『smile。。。』

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 2:58am
Print Post  
DrawFont has no ability to be scaled like DrawTile, 227 should somehow implement that though the effect will look seriously ugly as opposed to linking something like freetype to dynamically allocate OpenType fonts in real time.

But for Unreal's bitmap fonts like the ones in Engine.u, a scaling mechanism needs to be implemented.

By the way, if you use nGlide with Unreal and set Unreal's internal resolution to 640x480, but use nGlide's configuration utility to cause the wrapper to match your desktop resolution, it will upscale all Canvas elements but it will look seriously ugly.

I am the dragon without a name.
rk-__-ght.: / κυνικός Δράκων / スマイル・ドラゴン / Draco Nihil
IP Logged

han
Global Moderator
Unreal Rendering Guru
Developer Team

Oldunreal member

Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Damn. Missed that, and DeusEx lacks the ability too. Just wanted to use that in next few days for scaling third person conversation text.

However, if someone does the non font part, I'll see what i can do about a scaled Bitmap font drawing if there is a need. And using just integer scales doesn't look that ugly at all.

IP Logged

Skywolf
Betatester

Just placeholding...

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
If changing the size of the fonts/textures works can't we just export the image files, Change the size to something like 4x and then reimport these to a seperate package? It wouldn't be the prettiest solution but it makes the game atleast more playable. Unless this causes inventory items to overlap because the distance between these icons is hard-coded.

I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament Roll Eyes.

IP Logged

han
Global Moderator
Unreal Rendering Guru
Developer Team

Oldunreal member

Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
I would recommand upscaling (without filtering) them to 4x anyway. So one could simply use the same image for 1x, 2x, 4x while the look of 1x remains unchanged and just using a scaled version for text drawing. So you don't need any switch(scale) shit and have cleaner generic code. ^^

IP Logged

Gizzy

Oldunreal member

Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Delacroix wrote on Feb 3rd, 2015 at 6:29pm:
There was a HD HUD project by GcSkaarj but it was aborted. I'll ask around whether or not someone wishes to restart it.

Was it officially abandoned? I just saw he never updated the thread in a while Sad
I wonder if anyone managed to get a hold of any of the files before that then...

IP Logged

Delacroix
Betatester

Lord of the Dark Glyphs

Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Gizzy wrote on Feb 4th, 2015 at 10:08pm:

Was it officially abandoned? I just saw he never updated the thread in a while Sad
I wonder if anyone managed to get a hold of any of the files before that then...

If someone doesn't show up in over a year, do we need official word from them?

Also, it'd be quite easy to convert what he publically posted to a proper graphic format, it wasn't looking bad. At least we'd have a starting point.

IP Logged

han
Global Moderator
Unreal Rendering Guru
Developer Team

Oldunreal member

Reply #10 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Just as a minor note: DeusEx doesn't use the Canvas direct and uses something called GC (graphic context i guess) as an abstraction (and some RootWindow which sets up overall drawscale). Might be worth a look at for someone interessted in HUD scaling. And the hudscaling runs primarily by a copy of the SceneNode on a stack, setting up parameters for canvas.. mhhhh this could work too... i guess i should check it out.

IP Logged

gnsdhrw

Oldunreal member

Reply #11 - Jun 17th, 2015 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
With the 227i patch you can change the FOV in the graphics options menu. Default is 90. I chose 110 for my 16:9 monitor.

IP Logged

THEtomaso

Oldunreal member

Reply #12 - Jun 18th, 2015 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
There was a HD HUD project by GcSkaarj but it was aborted.

Yeah, just like I feared in my post here:
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1305775307/43#43
Unfortunatelly, I've seen this happen many times on various community projects..
People just tend to take on more than they can handle.
Instead of those 3D objects, I wish that GcSkaarj would have just focused his efforts on the 2D models that he started out with, cuz they looked spot-on perfect IMO.
If he had done that, we would have had a HD HUD a long time ago by now.

IP Logged

Masterkent
Developer Team

Reply #13 - Jun 18th, 2015 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Skywolf wrote on Feb 3rd, 2015 at 7:45pm:
To be honest. I don't even care too much for having the icons and text a higher resolution. Just being able to read them without pushing my face against the screen would be enough for me.

Agreed.

Quote:
Just being able to read them without pushing my face against the screen would be enough for me. Rendering the HUD in a larger scale couldn't be that hard to implement, right?

Switching to other font needs changes in text layout. Finding a proper layout was the most time-consuming thing in my case.

1x:

2x:

I wonder if it's possible to override drawing an info about currently downloaded packages and statistics provided by commands such as "stat net" and "timedemo 1". I couldn't find a way to enlarge such text without introducing bad side effects.

IP Logged

AlCapowned

Oldunreal member

Reply #14 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 7:39am
Print Post  
I could give you my Resurgence HUD, or just the renders and code if you want something less Skaarj-themed. It has 64x64 and 128x128 icons.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo