Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Unreal Gold and EAX\A3D effects (Read 10435 times)
[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Re: Unreal Gold and EAX\A3D effects
Reply #45 - May 21st, 2016 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Smirftsch wrote on May 21st, 2016 at 11:07am:
lowenz wrote on May 21st, 2016 at 9:27am:
[]KAOS[]Casey wrote on May 21st, 2016 at 3:43am:
but it looks like this is an Official Unreal Bug Candidate

A bold statement!

don't get me wrong there, my first card I was using at home was an aureal as well and I bought only for Unreal and this card a 5.1 sound system with digital sound processor. So forgive me that what I say: Aureal is dead, A3D is dead, let it die already, it was great using it and I enjoyed every minute but at some point it ends.
Fortunately we have plenty alternatives nowadays, I won't try to debug this.

Pretty sure neither ALAudio or FMOD does any geometry based sound reflection, so this still hasn't been replaced

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #46 - May 21st, 2016 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
honestly can't remember how and how good this has been working, therefor the ambients have been added in both alaudio and swfmod, but feel free to add whatever you miss Tongue
Well, no idea, the maps haven't been made with rendering audio geometry in mind either, so perhaps ambients are working out better already, but swfmod has geometry rendering to some degree too. For ALAudio I only added some highpass filter for occluded sounds so far. Still doesn't change that it is probably way more easy to add a similar system into the existing renderers than trying to fix up a nonfunctional A3D wrapper.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #47 - May 21st, 2016 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
galaxy feeds A3D the geometry if i remember right, you can do this also in openal/fmod, so in theory A3D can be replaced. Also, the wrapper is functional for all the A3D tests, the question being what's broken is the question. If you can safely say that the wrapper dies i'm satisfied

the purpose of the geometry is to have more realistic sound reflection in general which is not what openal/fmod do, it's all approximations based on whether or not a direct trace can hit you, not whether nor not a reflection can get to you

IP Logged

Masterkent
Developer Team

Reply #48 - May 23rd, 2016 at 10:38am
Print Post  
[]KAOS[]Casey wrote on May 21st, 2016 at 8:38pm:
which is not what openal/fmod do, it's all approximations based on whether or not a direct trace can hit you, not whether nor not a reflection can get to you

When I tested OpenAL implementation, I noticed that its occlusion suffers mostly from lack of simulating diffraction effect and from considering all sounds coming from infinitely small areas. Its rough occlusion model does not distinguish big and small obstacles and it does not distinguish big and small objects emitting sounds. Sometimes this leads to funny effects like occluding a huge waterfall by a little obstacle.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #49 - May 23rd, 2016 at 10:52am
Print Post  
yeah, I know, another task to spend weeks for.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

AFreakinProblem

Oldunreal member

Reply #50 - Dec 30th, 2016 at 1:18am
Print Post  
Stumbled across this thread after having some sound issues with UT99 (can't OpenAL or FMOD with surround). I got all of my 3D sound effects back in that game by installing ALchemy which the community had cracked some time ago to work with ALL SOUND CARDS and it works like a charm with my X Meridian 7.1. Not sure if it will work with Unreal/Return to NaPali, but it may be worth a shot. Were there any EAX libraries made specifically for that game like there was for UT99?
http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18249-tutorial-how-to-setup-eax-for-tdm-on-an...

IP Logged

Sharsys

Oldunreal member

Reply #51 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
For people who are willing to use A3D mode, mind you - it greatly reduces ambient sound radius which takes away some realism. I have no experience about EAX though .. Unreal has it's own reverb engine so I wonder how does it work in conjunction with it.

IP Logged

AFreakinProblem

Oldunreal member

Reply #52 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 3:07am
Print Post  
Sharsys wrote on Jan 1st, 2017 at 8:22pm:
For people who are willing to use A3D mode, mind you - it greatly reduces ambient sound radius which takes away some realism. I have no experience about EAX though .. Unreal has it's own reverb engine so I wonder how does it work in conjunction with it.

If it's anything like Galaxy + EAX in Unreal Tournament, then it should sound amazing. On my X Meridian (shouldn't be possible, but ALchemy has been cracked for some time... EAX also has emulation under WINE for Linux users), Galaxy + EAX is my preferred way to play as it has almost everything I like about OpenAL with a trade off of half the channels and a lot less bugs.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #53 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 8:01am
Print Post  
AFreakinProblem wrote on Jan 2nd, 2017 at 3:07am:
it has almost everything I like about OpenAL with a trade off of half the channels and a lot less bugs.

As for OpenALSoft, channels are only memory, but feel free to report the bugs you are talking about Smiley

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

lowenz

Unreal Veteran

Reply #54 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Any progress with A3D?

Still freezing the game @start :p

The task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen, but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees - E.S.

IP Logged

Lifeisverystrange

Oldunreal member

Reply #55 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 12:18am
Print Post  
AFreakinProblem wrote on Jan 2nd, 2017 at 3:07am:
Sharsys wrote on Jan 1st, 2017 at 8:22pm:

If it's anything like Galaxy + EAX in Unreal Tournament, then it should sound amazing. On my X Meridian (shouldn't be possible, but ALchemy has been cracked for some time... EAX also has emulation under WINE for Linux users), Galaxy + EAX is my preferred way to play as it has almost everything I like about OpenAL with a trade off of half the channels and a lot less bugs.

I can't seem to get Galaxy + EAX working for Unreal Gold, but UT99 works like a charm as always. Considering to get a Audigy 4 or X-Fi Titanium if possible for that hardware EAX. Software EAX is good for EAX 1 and 2, but EAX3 afterwards it is lacking with I believe no smooth transitions, not done in hardware (Sound redirection), and off reverb. EAX4 and EAX5 though is when Alchemy software is really bad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo