Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Unreal Gold and EAX\A3D effects (Read 10127 times)
vorob

Oldunreal member

Unreal Gold and EAX\A3D effects
Dec 15th, 2014 at 7:03am
Print Post  
Hello,

I'm currently sitting on computer that allows to play games with original EAX sound, and Thief and Half-Life works just fine, perfectly, i can hear difference with eax on and off.

What about unreal? I even don't know how to check is something is working right! Cause sound sounds (  Smiley ) same on all cards, on old os and on new os...

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Re: Unreal Gold and EAX\A3D effects
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 10:19am
Print Post  
if talking about UnrealGold (226 version) there is no support for EAX, but you can install the OMP (http://www.oldunreal.com/specialpatches.html), OpenAL in there offers EAX, but its only used to emulate the classic reverb effects, which are broken in 226 original galaxy audio. It also contains FMod which supports the original model of the classic reverb effects, which is maybe what you want if you want to stay with Unreal 226.

In 227 there is an advanced version of OpenAL which offers a widespread range of EFX effects, but these specificallyare only used in some custom maps. Other than that its also used "only" to emulate the classic reverb effects (EFX is an alternative to EAX and is working on all soundcards and also Linux).
A new version of FMod has been added, named SwFMOD, which is pretty much identical in features to OpenAL and also emulates the reverb.

Additionally in 227 Galaxy the reverb effects have been fixed and old FMod is also already included.

Which one you want to chose is not so easy to say, if you want to hear the effects exactly like they were made back then you have to stay with Galaxy or FMod, if you are fine with emulated effects which not 100% accurate but want to make use of EFX, the choice is OpenAL or SwFMOD.

Why the insane amount of sound renderers you may ask now, here some history lesson Tongue

The answer is that I started with OpenAL already before I was given the sources to make new patches because I was very unsatisfied with Galaxys positional accuracy and also reverb in Galaxy was broken, my friend Kerilk decided to do the same with FMod to have an alternative, since back then OpenAL was having a few issues with non CreativeLabs cards, especially with low end versions.
FMod (version 3) was discontinued at some point and I took an old source for SwFMOD (FModEx based) which I found at sourceforge and polished it up. Dots took this version and improved it quite some to make it equally to OpenAL which I am still updating as well. Galaxy was fixed but left original aside this.

I think both SwFMOD and OpenAL offer a better 3D accuracy, especially when using more than 2 speakers, but in latest OpenAL there is also an HRTF extension for headphones which can be made use of.
However, opinions disagree here and there, so I'm afraid you have to make your own choice.

Ok, everybody confused now? LOL

I hope this helps a bit Smiley

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

vorob

Oldunreal member

Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Which one you want to chose is not so easy to say, if you want to hear the effects exactly like they were made back then you have to stay with Galaxy or FMod

That's exactly what i'm looking for here. But!

Thing is, i thought that my EAX enabled card will add some additional effects, like is does in Thief and Half-Life. But in unreal (any version) is sounds the same, whether i use onboard card or sound blaster...

IP Logged

vorob

Oldunreal member

Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 10:38am
Print Post  
If i hear echo in starting cell, does that mean that reverb is working?

I'm using gog.com version of unrel gold which is 226.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 11:22am
Print Post  
If only using "classic" reverb (which will be the case for all default maps) there won't be a difference, no matter what soundcard you use.

If you start the game there are 2 very noticeable places with reverb effect, in the tube between the cells where you start and the next room, and in the beginning of the next level, in NyLeve, there is a very obvious echo.

But remember in 226 version of UnrealGold Galaxy is broken, so it won't do any reverb at all with that (meaning out of the box it won't work).

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

vorob

Oldunreal member

Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Smirftsch wrote on Dec 15th, 2014 at 11:22am:
If only using "classic" reverb (which will be the case for all default maps) there won't be a difference, no matter what soundcard you use.

If you start the game there are 2 very noticeable places with reverb effect, in the tube between the cells where you start and the next room, and in the beginning of the next level, in NyLeve, there is a very obvious echo.

But remember in 226 version of UnrealGold Galaxy is broken, so it won't do any reverb at all with that (meaning out of the box it won't work).

Under "Classic" you mean default? Without fan made stuff?

Only 226 is broken? 224 is ok?

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
From what I remember, the Galaxy reverb was broken somewhere between version 219 and 221 already, so no, 224 won't work either. That's why I said that you have to use at least the multimedia patch with FMod in 226, to have any reverb at all, for 226 there is no Galaxy reverb fix.

PS: In case you are "afraid" of a fan made patch, 227 contains many fixes (like the reverb fix) and was also authorized by Epic, it keeps the original gameplay and content absolutely intact. New features have been added over the years but these are almost entirely optional, so you don't need to be afraid to lose the "look and feel" of the game, it's no "redesign" or mod of any kind which changes the game.

Details can be found here: http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php?title=227_release_notes

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

vorob

Oldunreal member

Reply #7 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Ye, i'm perfectly ok with fan made patch.

btw, any reason why gog is using 226, not 227? Since it was authorised by epic the should use id...

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #8 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
vorob wrote on Dec 15th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
Ye, i'm perfectly ok with fan made patch.

btw, any reason why gog is using 226, not 227? Since it was authorised by epic the should use id...

It's not made by Epic, it's authorized but not endorsed by Epic, and even if it achieved worldwide recognition, it is perpetually in the making Wink

Makes sense for them to use the latest official patch and not the community one.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

スマイル・ドラゴン
Betatester

『smile。。。』

Reply #9 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Shouldn't you beable to use the Galaxy.DLL from 226f to fix 226b? I thought Hyper.NL mentioned that on his website...

I am the dragon without a name.
rk-__-ght.: / κυνικός Δράκων / スマイル・ドラゴン / Draco Nihil
IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #10 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 7:16am
Print Post  
Hellkeeper already summed it up again Smiley

and I am not sure anymore, I remember also something with switching galaxy.dll between the versions, but I think it was using UGold one's in 226f due to some fixes Legend made, but reverb wasn't fixed in either of these iirc.
But couldn't find it so far on Hypers page or here.

Maybe someone else can remember more?
(Hyyyyypeeeeer?)

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

vorob

Oldunreal member

Reply #11 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 7:34am
Print Post  
Just one more question about EAX and Creative card Smiley

Back then was there any difference if you use some generic sound card vs. creative card with eax support?

--

Im now playing with original iso of unreal (version 1.0) and trying different patches (nothing serious, just as a history lesson). My god, defaul game didn't even have ogl and d3d support Smiley

Tried official patch 218, direct x is just horrible crap and ogl works without volumetric fog and detailed textures.

btw, in advanced audio options i see smth like "use hw sound" with this thing enabled, in 218, i don't have echo in starting room and next tunnel. If i disable hw audio all is fine, with echo.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #12 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 7:50am
Print Post  
no, there wasn't. The only hardware which made a difference in Galaxy were and are A3D (Aureal) soundcards - in case you would be able to still get one and run it in some recent OS, but I can't say anymore from which version on A3D was supported.

From 224 release notes:

Quote:
If you enable "Advanced Options / Audio / Use3DHardware" through the menus and you have  a 3D sound card with Aureal A3D 2.0 drivers, you won't get any sound acceleration.  A3D 2.0 (geometric environmental audio processing) support is still in development and testing, and will come later, but the temporary side effect is that 1.0 support is disabled.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Reply #13 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Unreal was the first game to support EAX (via Galaxy). You need to enable 3D sound hardware in Galaxy's advanced options.

But since Windows Vista and up Microsoft removed the DirectSound3D hardware acceleration which is needed for advanced audio card features like EAX to work. So, if you run Win2000 or XP it should work directly.

If you have Vista or newer you can use tricks like Creative ALChemy which translates the DirectSound3D into OpenAL calls which still have a path to the 3D sound hardware. As this is a Creative technology, it will only work with supported Creative soundcards.

I tested it and it works fine on my Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi under Windows 7. (Galaxy + EAX + ALChemy) but it may be easier to just install Unreal patch 227 which has native OpenAL support. Be sure to rename (deactivate) the supplied OpenAL32.dll file from your Unreal System folder (if it is there) when you want to use your soundcard's hardware accelerated 3D sound. Only do this when you have a decent, supported sound card like the SB Audigy and X-Fi. Otherwise the software OpenAL will be an excellent replacement.

And yes, for the side note, Galaxy in 225f is a bit bugged, and you can use the galaxy version from 226b to 'fix' 225f. But nowadays everyone seems to use Unreal Gold instead of 225f anyways.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2014 at 12:16am by Hyper »  

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."

- Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
IP Logged

vorob

Oldunreal member

Reply #14 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Thing which i'm trying to understand, is what i get via creative card (i have hardware and os that support eax natively)

I tried old onboard laptop sound from 2004, tried creative sb with eax, tried on modern os with realtek chip, tried 227 with open al. everywhere is the same sound, with echo in first room and in tunnel.

Maybe there is something in game, sound, that works ONLY on eax card?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo