Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ALAudio for UnrealTournament - development and links (Read 27557 times)
Morpheus2396

Oldunreal member

Re: ALAudio for UnrealTournament - development and links
Reply #150 - Nov 26th, 2016 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
lowenz wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 2:47pm:
OpenAL Soft works perfectly in UT 2004 with a simple renaming (and other UE2/2.5 games too), just launch the game with this batch:

SET __ALSOFT_SUSPEND_CONTEXT=ignore
.\System\ut2004.exe

Shall/Can I have to insert this line in the .exe's launch options?

The "SUSPEND_CONTEXT=ignore" code - is that related to the sounds disappearing bug in UT/UT2004??? The question behind this question is: does Creative's OpenAL implementation alse have such a command?

@Smirftsch:

HRTF seems to work now - it didn't work, because "Output Format" in my Windows sound config was/is set to "24Bit, 96000Hz" and HRTF supports only 44,1 and 48KHz output -> I set it to "24Bit, 44100Hz" and now the sound through headphones is indeed three-dimensional BUT now I can notice the drop in fidelity and deepness of the sounds. However it's yet unclear whether this deterioration of sound quality is truly related to output frequency OR maybe to HRTF...

I will do some tests right now - testing 44,1 KHz vs. 96 KHz in other Games and I will compare OALSoft + HRTF to Creative HW OpenAL + CMSS-3D HP.

And right at this point, I'd like to know: is it somehow possible to get OALSoft working with CMSS-3D? Because CMSS-3D delivers truly reliable 3D/Surround-Sound to ANY game supporting surround sound and/or multi-channel sources...   

M2396

IP Logged

Morpheus2396

Oldunreal member

Reply #151 - Nov 27th, 2016 at 12:03am
Print Post  
willow31 wrote on Nov 26th, 2016 at 10:51pm:
The bug of sound disappeared with xfi titanium pcu-e with new branch driver (2.40.xxx) is a bug from creative driver

There are lots of topics speak about this bug and creative have never made anything to resolve this bug. Now, this cards is at end of life. Then no new drivers is expected.

list of topics with this bugs
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1400445026/15#15
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?563491-X-fi-Sound-Bug-quot-Disappear...
http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=726283
etc

creative is only shit.

1.) So, does this mean, the guys working at Creative are already aware of this "bug" and that it affects several games?

2.) According to han, this issue is not a "bug" at all, but a new "function" or requirement...

Interrestingly, neither Doom 3 nor UT3 are affected by this "bug" - I played Doom 3 with OpenAL with the new(est) Creative driver (2.40.0015 - this one contains the skipping "bug", too) and there are neither sounds disappearing, nor does the game crash. Same for UT3 - UT3 crashes often, but I don't believe it's related to OpenAL...

M2396

IP Logged

willow31

Oldunreal member

Reply #152 - Nov 27th, 2016 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Morpheus2396 wrote on Nov 27th, 2016 at 12:03am:
1.) So, does this mean, the guys working at Creative are already aware of this "bug" and that it affects several games?

Yes, creative are already aware of this bug since many months (see the links that I quote but it exists lots of other linnks related) but there won't be any correction of this bug because support is stopped for xfi titanium since some months. altrhoug, the bug has been reported to creative many months before the end of support.

example of thread where some people refers to creative support the problem
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?563491-X-fi-Sound-Bug-quot-Disappear...)

2.) According to han, this issue is not a "bug" at all, but a new "function" or requirement...

i don't think it's a new function because only xfi titanium has this problem. Old xfi have not this problem even with new drivers.
if it was a new function, all xfi would have this problem.

see here
http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=726283

Interrestingly, neither Doom 3 nor UT3 are affected by this "bug" - I played Doom 3 with OpenAL with the new(est) Creative driver (2.40.0015 - this one contains the skipping "bug", too) and there are neither sounds disappearing, nor does the game crash. Same for UT3 - UT3 crashes often, but I don't believe it's related to OpenAL...

M2396

Lots of openAL game are this problem: oldunreal, diablo1HD mod, BGEE, mass effect, Dungeons & Dragons Online, lotr online etc With open al soft or old driver before 2.40 branch, the problem disappeared.

IP Logged

Wilhelm

Oldunreal member

Reply #153 - Jan 4th, 2017 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Hello and a happy new year!

I have a question regarding the default values of ALAudio.

The values shown at the end of the first post are not the latest for obvious reasons, like the presence of "UseOriginalUnreal". Others are different like: MusicAmplify is 0 instead of 1 now and UseSpeechVolume is True instead of False.

Therefore I let it generate its own defaults, but here starts the confusion. If I implement it into a fresh UT installation with no entries in the INI and go to the Advanced Options and press "Reset To Defaults", some settings change!

These mainly are:
bSoundAttenuate=True (previously False)
MusicPanSeparation=0 (previously 50)
OutputRate=48000Hz (previously 44100Hz)

So, which are the real latest defaults please? Roll Eyes

One more thing, maybe thats normal behavior, but after selecting the new audio renderer in Advanced Options, just about 14 of these 30 entries are saved in the UT INI. I have to change a value in the GUI to get all written into the INI.

IP Logged

han
Global Moderator
Unreal Rendering Guru
Developer Team

Oldunreal member

Reply #154 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 5:29am
Print Post  
For the Reset to Defaults button to work as expected, one would need to put the desired entries into Default.ini.

HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.

IP Logged

gopostal
Betatester

Retired

Reply #155 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 6:13am
Print Post  
Slight chuckle for a 'Wilhelm' posting in an audio section.

Explanation if needed

I'm outta here. C ya!

IP Logged

Wilhelm

Oldunreal member

Reply #156 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 12:37am
Print Post  
@gopostal: I havn't heard that one before Grin very interesting indeed.
This however is the only forum where I am active where I have to use another name instead of the username I've registered. Security is a neverending story, but this is as useless as forcing to use more and more complex passwords; especially when it comes to such crucial things in life like a (Unreal-)forum... Tongue

@han: Good suggestion! For some reason there were entries in the Defaults.ini that didn't match the actual ones. I've replaced them with those from the included inichanges.txt.

IP Logged

wupfen

Oldunreal member

Reply #157 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
I played around with the volume a litte, don't want my UT to loud so I can listen to podcasts in the background.

But somehow I think the weapon explosions stay always the same volume, it seems an can only control the volume of the ambient noise. Anyone noticing anything similar?

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #158 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 11:29am
Print Post  
I guess it's probably because explosions pretty much max out the possible scale of volume, they still have a high value while anything else is long at 0 already.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

wupfen

Oldunreal member

Reply #159 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
With Galaxy Audio the volume settings work as expected. But with the audio mod its always loud.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo