Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) NEWBIESPLAYGROUND.COM - COOP CONTEST 2013 (Read 24806 times)
strategy-(DOG)-

-(DOG)-clan | Oldunreal

NEWBIESPLAYGROUND.COM - COOP CONTEST 2013
Jul 22nd, 2013 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
hey there! some of you might remember the last pure coop contest on newbies servers, back in 2011. it was huge fun and we had the idea to re-initiate this contest.
but first of all, we'd like to know your opinion about this. is there an interest at all, or is the unreal community already too lazy to move the mouse? Wink
well, we'd really appreciate to hear your opinions/suggestions/whatever on this.... and would be cool, if some admins would also join to support the event.

please post on newbies-forum, newbies-facebook or just by email: admin@newbiesplayground.com

thank you for your time!
WOOF! WOOF!
strategy-(DOG)-

IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Re: NEWBIESPLAYGROUND.COM - COOP CONTEST 2013
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2013 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
I think the cats are underrepresented in the Unreal community.

Meow!

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."

- Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
IP Logged

strategy-(DOG)-

-(DOG)-clan | Oldunreal

Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 9:43am
Print Post  
you might be right hyper Wink ...but this should be seen as a fun-event. so all players, clans (and animals) are welcomed Smiley

IP Logged

strategy-(DOG)-

-(DOG)-clan | Oldunreal

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Hello everyone,

Newbies Playground Coop Contest 2013 is finally here. We invite all Unreal-players to take part in this event. The competition will take place in two categories: single-player ranking with team-event and pure team-event. for the single-player ranking, there are two stages: first comes the single player runs where competitors each play three pre-selected maps solo to determine ranking.

After the first round the competitors will be divided into teams of 5 players each and move forward to the team-event. In the team-event, the teams emerged from the single-player ranking are meeting with clans and teams that only take part on the team-event. Each team should consist of 5 players. All teams play separately 2 maps (not necessarily on the same day): 1.) Bluff Eversmoking (to warm up) and 2.) the amazing Skaarj Castle!

There will be 2 winners: Best team and best single-player (single-player winner will be determined by points made in both single player and team runs). Needless to say that the winner also receives enormous amounts of admiration and glory from the whole Unreal World.

So everyone, get ready for Coop Contest 2013. The contest servers are up and running for you to practice - use your Unreal Server Browser and navigate to NEWBIESPLAYGROUND.COM CONTEST 2013 [1]/[2] under the Cooperative tab.

Details and scoreboard: www.newbiesplayground.com/contest2013/

IP Logged

GenericHero
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 12:29am
Print Post  
Quote:
Score is counted kills minus deaths, no time taken.

Score.

Score.

crappity smacking Score.

And most of all, time isn't counted?

So all these years I've been playing learning to dodge monsters that are unnecessary, kill effectively and learn how to speedrun maps are completely pointless?

Do you guys not realize that scoring.. only by score means that you can theoretically have an infinite-way tie with no way to break it if time isn't even recorded? What about ammo usage, inventory, no invisibility, no armor.. etc..

If everyone kills the same number of monsters and never dies.. it's pointless..

tl;dr: why bother?

IP Logged

strategy-(DOG)-

-(DOG)-clan | Oldunreal

Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 6:03am
Print Post  
well, generichero. you did not get the point.
this should be a fun-event and as it is in the tradition of newbiesplayground, we also want new players and players with less experience to join. so there is a decision not to take time as a factor to scores on the single-player events - to give all a good chance. but i can assure you, that all times will be recorded and can be viewed on the score board.
whereas there will be bonus-points provided for the fastest team to manage the 2 rounds in the team events.

IP Logged

GenericHero
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 7:25am
Print Post  
Anyone worth a damn in Unreal has all the maps completely memorized in every fashion, to not count time to finish as the primary vector which is the only real human factor here is what should be measured.

If the bonus points are really 20 for lowest time on team, it's absolutely insane. To say that this contest is also trying to balance for "all" players, new and old is stupid.

In Chizra, there's a room where Flies continually spawn for a while, but you can skip through it really fast. In a single player run, if an advanced player knows how many spawn there they will kill them all since score is the only thing that matters, where a newer player might not know how many spawn there and automatically lose the top rank because they didn't know about something the veterans do.

And as for time bonus being 20, which if it's equivalent to 20 kills is also absolutely insane. If you speedrun the map 100% solely to get the fastest time you don't need to kill a LOT of monsters because for most maps 20 is a huge amount.

I don't know if there are any OddsOfAppearing monsters in the maps listed, but I'll check it out later. If there are, this could be randomly skewed towards people who get lucky and encounter more monsters for single player.

In any case, this contest is already rigged in favor of veterans on levels that I haven't even talked about and it's a total farce to say it's open to new players.

IP Logged

strategy-(DOG)-

-(DOG)-clan | Oldunreal

Reply #7 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 9:25am
Print Post  
ok, seems you still don't get it. this is a contest, yes, but it's main purpose is fun, not a hardcore challenge as you might expect. for sure a new player can't compensate the abilities of a veteran player. but at least they should have the possibility to take part without being ripped off completely. and by the way, main focus is set on the team-event, what we call "coop".
to be honest, i really don't care too much if you like the rules or not or if you are the greatest unreal player ever. this is just some fun for some players of the community that might enjoy. i'm aware of the fact that many won't pay any attention at all to this - but i'm not addressing to them. so, feel free to run your speedruns on your computer. your opinion is noted and it is just a waste of time for both of us, to discuss on this....

IP Logged

Oldsparky

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Perhaps some of these great coop players that I never see playing will show up an show us their abilities.  This is a challenge. Smiley This is to be fun for all and a chance to get some activity going.  We always attract naysayers with any attempt to improve the community, rather it be the 227 Patch or a simple fun contest.  That's my opinion anyway..
This is really not worth arguing about, if your interested great, if not, so be it.
Flawless play by yourself is one thing, to do it with the world watching is yet another.  I myself would love to participate if I was able.

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

sweetfrog
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 11:19am
Print Post  
@ GenericHero, did you have a bitch for breakfast?
The contest is a good thing, it is a good opportunity for many to play Unreal again.
And finally, we need the community to keep the game alive.
You will not be forced to participate in anything, but let the others have fun even when you do not have.
I support the Coop Contest and the DOG clan and I hope it will be a fun match with many players.

IP Logged

hLk_Havok

www.hlkclan.net

Reply #10 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
while I don't usually play coop myself, it's nice to see activity in the old game regardless of gametype.  You guys need any help with anything let me know.

"Cry 'Havok!', and let slip the dogs of war"
  www.hlkclan.net/forums
IP Logged

William(Rainman)
God Member

Pancaking Skaarj Troopers
with the Cicada.

Reply #11 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Hope y'all have fun because i never play on any of the NEWBIESPLAYGROUND servers because of the G Rated Rules on a M Rated Game if you want G Rated Rules go play Mario or Donkey Kong because those games are Rated E for Everyone.

IP Logged

GenericHero
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
strategy-(DOG)- wrote on Jul 24th, 2013 at 9:25am:
but at least they should have the possibility to take part without being ripped off completely.

Ok, if that's the purpose of the single player, fine.

Quote:
con·test 
/ˈkäntest/

Noun
An event in which people compete for supremacy in a sport, activity, or particular quality.

by definition a contest is for competing for supremacy. If you are truly saying this is for fun perhaps you should call it an event. This actually reflects the lack of scoring beyond.. well.. score.

When I saw "contest" I immediately was like holy shit this is going to be awesome, I don't know if I know all the tricks in the maps to win, but I'd like to try. Then I saw that time was barely even a factor {at first, later I found that it will probably break team contest} and I just wondered.. why bother? There are people who still play coop and spam it to hell like before, although mostly in zombies deadzone.. I just don't see a lot of "new" players participating to be brutally honest. Maybe relatively new, but you could easily memorize those maps in a year or less.

IP Logged

Blu3Haz3

Oldunreal member

Reply #13 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
I'm burning through Unreal Single Player on Godlike settings, no cheating... I think I could probably do well.  I've been playing a lot of Halo PC on Legendary, which itself is pure talent and experience alone.  But what kind of style challenge is this?

Is it modified creatures with a billion health or is it actually a Unreal run through?  If it is modified monsters, and weapons that are odd or modified.  I am not sure I'll do any better than noobs.  There are certain balances the standard game offers, and if you maintain Armor and Shieldbelt through campaign you will play through maps on any setting with flying colors.  It all depends on what kind of gameplay we've got, but if it is standard coop I might attend Smiley

IP Logged

sweetfrog
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
@ William (Rainman): Rules belong to a match and also server rules are important.
Life is also certain rules and in  this forum there are rules.
With your entirely pointless comments you try to destroy the fun of a thing for many people.
Just let it be.

@ hLk_Havok: Thats nice to hear that. I have informations about other contest in the next time.

@ GenericHero: It´s a fun event. The winners don´t get any price but if it would be a serious callenge  I can understand your critics.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo