Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) NEWBIESPLAYGROUND.COM - COOP CONTEST 2013 (Read 26603 times)
Blu3Haz3

Oldunreal member

Re: NEWBIESPLAYGROUND.COM - COOP CONTEST 2013
Reply #30 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 6:41am
Print Post  
Dr.Flay™ wrote on Jul 25th, 2013 at 8:44pm:
It seems some people just miss the point of having fun.
There is no prize or award ceremony for winning games of Unreal or UT.
I never even completed Unreal or Unreal 2, because I spend so much time exploring. The "prize" is an end-game sequence. So-what. I can't hang it on the wall.

Uber-competitiveness will get you what ?

Yes a competition by it's nature is to find a "winner", but the only thing we have, is the chance to win the respect of our peers.
Winning is not the only way to gain respect. Being a team-player and supporting your team will earn you more respect, compared to only worrying about your personal times and score.

What is needed then is 2 team CoOp, where a team wins and you can nominate "man of the match", so even a player on the loosing team could walk away with their head held high.

When I did my Army training, the first day we were on the big assault course, I decided "This is my bitch. I am going to to own this".
Oh boy did I Cheesy I broke the damned course record. (GET-IN !!)
I may have had the fastest time, but I was then most unpopular, and got it in the neck for days (they kept calling me "Yankie-boy").
We were there for each-other. We were supposed to act like a unit and look after each-other.
I was reminded at that point by the Sargent "We are only as strong as our weakest link"
If I was so good, I should have spent more time helping those who were struggling.

During our training, we watched a video of other recruits training. We were asked to look for the perfect soldier candidates.
Many people picked the guy who won the big race in the video (I did. He was one of the most athletic and won lots of the events).
Most of us got it wrong. Our instructor explained;
The guy who tried so hard to win everything, spends most of his time checking his watch. He is only interested in himself, and his own personal best times. He never really "pushed" himself.
The people they actually look for are the ones who are pushing them selves harder than they have ever tried, and also trying to look after the team at the same time.
These people are known by the technical term of "natural born leaders"  Wink

We are quite aware of how ingrained competitiveness is in the U.S.
In the UK we often see American competitors on our games-shows, and even in the comedy shows some of the American comedians take it way too seriously.
Some of our shows just give arbitrary points based on how much the host liked the answer.
That does not go down well with competitive people.

This years annual cheese-rolling chase, was attended (and won) by an American.
This is an event attended by children and families from the local area, who joyously run and tumble down the grassy hill, chasing a wheel of cheese.
It's a "come-as-you-are, day out for the family" possibly with a picnic.
Most people half-forget the cheese, as they laugh and fall over each-other, but not this years winner.
He arrived in full running kit and spikes. He had even been training months for this (i think we found this the funniest part).
Pumped-up and full of confidence, he powered his way past all the families and children. He left them all standing in his dust.
The actual point of this annual "competitive" race, is to catch the cheese.
It is an impossible task and everyone who enters knows that. The point is to come together to have fun.

While Mr.Competitive was stood recovering at the bottom of the hill, everyone else was still laughing and tumbling their way merrily down.

Who had the most out of the experience, with more memories to go home with ?
Mr.110% or the villagers ?

Any event that encourages people to come together, will always divide opinion no matter what.
I would say, anyone who wants some fun with a few like-minded people, will join-up and have fun even if the come last.
Overtly competitive people will join, but will never be happy with some issue or other.

Good on ya Dog.. Yesh, who's a goood dog  Grin

I don't dislike elitism, but there are times where people just have to shut up about their self confidence and make things happen. I for one notice bad karma in people that go to great lengths just to prove others weaker, it all blows up in the guy's face and makes him look like a fool (incompetent).

But never the less, I played some DM these last few years to over come challenges and get real good at something I render one of the top multiplayer competitive shooters out there. But I never achieved anywhere on top of 1st Place... I may have played some ultimately great games against the best players and won a few in my time. But to me, the competition is fun and it is worth getting rough for. When people want to win, not only does it bring interest... but people can make money with the hobby... i.e.. Sports.

I don't argue with your point, people are very selfish when it comes to being the best. Typical Americans on British TV Shows, yes... I'm American and I do watch some classic British Comedy like Takeshi's Castle. I saw some really, almost annoying American competitors on there that failed miserably at impressing people on a "COMEDY SHOW". But the reason is because America itself is a country that invented like 3-4 sports straight. Athletes can make money off of it pretty easily too... and athletes take it every where they go. They like these kind of challenges sir, so you understand right Smiley

So all I am trying to say by posting the Speed Run video, is that a competition isn't a competition without a serious goal or challenge. People wont call me best player in Unreal just for winning this. I know damn well that I rank at least 1-2 tiers below some players Smiley

I really like the idea of a competition, but setting very simple goals like three levels makes me feel like I should sit it out lol. My brother managed to take the absolute top player record on TNN Stats for DM 1on1 server for 3-4 years even after quitting unreal. There were thousands of players on that TNN Roster, so it shows that it will take very strong goals to get people who are truly gifted at monster killing.

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Oldunreal MasterPoster

nedm

Reply #31 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 6:44am
Print Post  
Hellkeeper wrote on Jul 26th, 2013 at 10:02am:
Well, what a heated argument. What's the topic ?
Hum, I see, this debate seems pretty useless.

Not really very heated so much as a series of misunderstandings.

It's not hard to do when something explained as a competition isn't actually a definitive competition when you really examine it, and it was never going to be anything more than an event.

IP Logged

Blu3Haz3

Oldunreal member

Reply #32 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 6:55am
Print Post  
[]KAOS[]Casey wrote on Jul 27th, 2013 at 6:44am:
Hellkeeper wrote on Jul 26th, 2013 at 10:02am:
Well, what a heated argument. What's the topic ?
Hum, I see, this debate seems pretty useless.

Not really very heated so much as a series of misunderstandings.

It's not hard to do when something explained as a competition isn't actually a definitive competition when you really examine it, and it was never going to be anything more than an event.

It is just an event, it is clear to me now. But I posted the video to warn people that there are some really special gamers hidden in the community that do have skills like such. A guy recently on here posted videos of him ROCKET jumping across maps, which I never could figure out how to do. He kept his momentum up too... wild. And then there are DM Players that would smoke 100 monsters in well under 10 minutes... possibly without much damage.... idk!!

There are also some coop players on zombie's server that are extraordinarily strategic, and complete maps alone in about the same time as the speed runner while killing most monsters. I am just saying, I don't see how this is going to all add up... if we don't get a little more info on how people are being graded and it sounded like there was a team contest and a player contest. I don't even know how to get enlisted or registered to the event, even the link I was sent lacked some important key information.

IP Logged

strategy-(DOG)-

-(DOG)-clan | Oldunreal

Reply #33 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 7:41am
Print Post  
well, no matter, how you name this "event" or how serious you might take this - i see some still did not get the point of it.

...but i'm rather amused on how some really feel the urge to comment everything. it is ok that you dislike this "event" or even consider it being ridiculous - but maybe you should think about the fact that you are taking yourself far too important?! - no matter if you are the greatest unreal players ever, no one really cares for that - at least i don't! the mission is to set some activity, not more, not less.

if i'd comment any crap posted anywhere, i'd be a "supermasterhyper"-poster - yeah, you can be proud of it!

to make this clear: this is an event from the community for (a part of) the community of unreal - and only for those who are interested in it. i have discussed endlessly with all those naysayers out there, those whiners and complainers. i really don't care! sometimes i got the feeling i'm only discussing with kids.
if you believe it or not. there are some players out there who still like the community, the game and still can consider this as being some fun. so let them have some fun, and you might keep doing whatever you usually do... i really don't like to waste my time on some "princesses". if you like to join, you are welcomed, if not, fine with me.

WOOF! WOOF!

IP Logged

strategy-(DOG)-

-(DOG)-clan | Oldunreal

Reply #34 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 9:04am
Print Post  
@ Blu3Haz3:
the main event is the teamplay - coop as we are used to it
the single-player games mainly take place to have some kind of ranking to form teams out of the players... to form teams with stronger and less strong players. for example if there should be 15 players taking part in the single player events: players with the rank 1, 2 and 3 are teamleaders. the other players are being splitted up and get to the teams as follows: player rank 15 goes to team 1, player rank 14 goes to team 2, player rank 13 to team 3, player rank 12 team 1 again and so on.... you see, the teams consists of various players with individual skills. goal in teamplay is it to reach the end with the whole team, as many frags and as less kills as possible. the team doing this fastest, gains bonus points. and all teams play 2 rounds (the maps bluff and skaarj castle). so, to get the sense of coop, it is not meant that all players spread and go for their own frags, but to stay as team, help each other getting through the map.... stronger players help to protect others and will rather share items found with those having less skills, since the teams kills reduce the score of the team.

you don't need to sign up. just come to the servers when you see me or any other admin to record your run. if no one is present, please send an email to admin@newbiesplayground.com

any further questions, just ask me

IP Logged

Klesk

Oldunreal member

Reply #35 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Heh, members of the Confederation Sigma is coming! so, prepare to meet some Spanish dudes!  Cheesy awesome event !

--

Je, se vienen miembros de la Confederación Sigma ! así que, prepárense para conocer algunos amigos de habla hispana! Cheesy Genial evento !

Supremo Líder de la Confederación Sigma | Supreme Leader of the Confederation Sigma

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #36 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Ah ¿Hay muchos jugadores españoles (o de habla hispana) en Unreal ?
Tengo que revisar mis clases :s

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Klesk

Oldunreal member

Reply #37 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Indeed, most of the spanish people is hiding in weird names (or english names) and they dont speak, because they dont know anything about english, so... yep.

---

De hecho, la mayoría de la gente de habla hispana se esconde en nombres extraños (o nombres en inglés) y no hablan, porque ellos no saben nada de inglés, así que... sip.

Supremo Líder de la Confederación Sigma | Supreme Leader of the Confederation Sigma

IP Logged

Blu3Haz3

Oldunreal member

Reply #38 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
I wasn't flaming this post, just explaining that if it were a contest that some players could show up and ruin it. Not saying that I would, though I enjoy speedrunning... it is fun if you put up the difficulty some.

But I didn't know how you would rank players, if there wasn't some kill requirement or some test. I have I have visited the practice and the test servers and I don't think anything has been recorded. Plus at first I thought it had something to do with how fast and how many monsters you kill.

So to enlist, I need to play on a test server until someone might register me into a team?

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Oldunreal MasterPoster

nedm

Reply #39 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
strategy-(DOG)- wrote on Jul 27th, 2013 at 7:41am:
...but i'm rather amused on how some really feel the urge to comment everything.

strategy-(DOG)- wrote on Jul 22nd, 2013 at 7:26pm:
well, we'd really appreciate to hear your opinions/suggestions/whatever on this

Yeah... you literally asked for it.

IP Logged

strategy-(DOG)-

-(DOG)-clan | Oldunreal

Reply #40 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
@Blu3Haz3: yes you are right, the server won't record automatically. make sure an admin is on the server (runs are only taken on the server [1] - providing 1 player slot and 11 spectator slots. the admin will take screenshots in the moment each map is ended. these screenshots will be collected by me and the scoreboard will be updated with your results. if you consider to take part on the single-player event you will be added to a team on the principle i explained earlier...

@generichero: dear friend Wink - i know i said that, but to be honest, i did not expect a discussion that is turning into a circle Smiley - if that was you earlier today on the server, it was a pity that you could not stay a bit longer to make go for your "hot run"! - would be nice if you'd come back Wink

as you can see on the scoreboard, meanwhile quite some players visited the server and yet some more to come - hopefully... thank you for showing some interest! (sitting here for the last 13 hrs and watching runs Smiley
WOOF! WOOF!

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Oldunreal MasterPoster

nedm

Reply #41 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Weird, well that wasn't me. I've been too busy looking for a job to really play unreal. Maybe I'll give it a shot tonight.

IP Logged

Skywolf
Betatester

Just placeholding...

Reply #42 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 5:43am
Print Post  
I would join if it wasn't for the 1/2 to whole second lag between servers and my screen. It is not just newbiesplayground, every server online has this problem even when my ping is within the norms and it doesn't seem to matter which ISP i have (switched to another one recently but no improvement). So my is guess that Unreal is doing something wrong. If anyone knows how to fix this I would love to join this contest.

I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament Roll Eyes.

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Oldunreal MasterPoster

nedm

Reply #43 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 5:46am
Print Post  
Try setting a framerate limit of 59/58 if you're using d3d8/9 or new opengl

IP Logged

Rubie

Retired

Reply #44 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Hi all,

been trough it hehe, this is special to read all those different comments, just one word from me who is the bad and who is the good one?
I think the one who act and do something for the unreal community like or dislike this is own choise and you free to choose,but have respect this is importand.

I have no signature Smiley
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo