Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) NEWBIESPLAYGROUND.COM - COOP CONTEST 2013 (Read 25131 times)
sweetfrog
Ex Member

Re: NEWBIESPLAYGROUND.COM - COOP CONTEST 2013
Reply #15 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
@ Blu3Haz3: It´s the classic/standard coop version. At the beginning you have only the "dispersion pistol". All the others things you get from the map, no modified things.

For more information : http://www.newbiesplayground.com/contest2013/ Smiley

IP Logged

William(Rainman)
God Member

Pancaking Skaarj Troopers
with the Cicada.

Reply #16 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Quote:
@ William (Rainman): Rules belong to a match and also server rules are important.
Life is also certain rules and in  this forum there are rules.
With your entirely pointless comments you try to destroy the fun of a thing for many people.
Just let it be.

Yeah well I don't like it when people Try to take away my 1st Amendment Right which is Freedom of Speech nobody should have the power to Suppress people with Censorship.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #17 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
William(Rainman) wrote on Jul 24th, 2013 at 7:30pm:
Quote:
@ William (Rainman): Rules belong to a match and also server rules are important.
With your entirely pointless comments you try to destroy the fun of a thing for many people.
Just let it be.

Yeah well I don't like it when people Try to take away my 1st Amendment Right which is Freedom of Speech nobody should have the power to Suppress people with Censorship.

Not that there would have been some censorship at all now- or are you referring now to whatever happened to you at newbies servers?
To make it simple: if you don't agree with someones rules, if it is now in the forums here or on a server there, it is also your fully 1st Amendment Right to stay away. Freedom of Speech does not mean to violate someones rules while being in their home/server/forum. You don't agree with their rules? You don't need to. But don't be surprised they insist on them.

In any way, your comment was indeed just pointless and it's only purpose was to denigrate this contest.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

William(Rainman)
God Member

Pancaking Skaarj Troopers
with the Cicada.

Reply #18 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Smirftsch wrote on Jul 24th, 2013 at 7:57pm:
William(Rainman) wrote on Jul 24th, 2013 at 7:30pm:
Quote:
Just let it be.

Not that there would have been some censorship at all now- or are you referring now to whatever happened to you at newbies servers?
To make it simple: if you don't agree with someones rules, if it is now in the forums here or on a server there, it is also your fully 1st Amendment Right to stay away. Freedom of Speech does not mean to violate someones rules while being in their home/server/forum. You don't agree with their rules? You don't need to. But don't be surprised they insist on them.

In any way, your comment was indeed just pointless and it's only purpose was to denigrate this contest.

Yeah I was referring to an incident that happened to me along time ago I haven't been back on sense. Maybe thing have changed hopefully things have changed because the Server is pretty populated and alot of the Maps are really good.

IP Logged

Oldsparky

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #19 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Even a unskilled and unknowing Coop Player like me can learn the maps by observing the good Coop players play thru them as spectator.  If you don't know the maps like me, I encourage you to watch the other players who do, and then have a go at it.

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Blu3Haz3

Oldunreal member

Reply #20 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Honostly... some people could beat Unreal in an entire hour... this contest is pointless...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAWKd_J7UHI

IP Logged

)Leela(-[otS]-

Oldunreal member

Reply #21 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 12:09am
Print Post  
Surely an impressive performance and if time would be the main aspect, such a guy would for sure always make the first place. But all these speedrun guys totally miss the point of the game. I don't think epic had a racing game in mind when they created Unreal.
When I want to play a race game I make some rounds in Need for Speed or do some 6 star chases in GTA San Andreas which gives much more fun.
The question here: What is more pointless?

AIM  
IP Logged

Blu3Haz3

Oldunreal member

Reply #22 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Well, sort of... but at the same time they implimented very electric music that could help the speed runner ninja's feel the grove.  If any game at all, Unreal is like the 2nd\3rd best speed run game.

IP Logged

)Leela(-[otS]-

Oldunreal member

Reply #23 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Yes, of course Unreal is a fast game, but I always thought the music was more made for the fights with Skaarjs and other monsters Cheesy
Please don't get me wrong, the video is really very impressive and it's a pity, that it has only low quality. I haven't seen it completely, but this guy is a real skilled player.
I could imagine, that a contest based on time would be very fun, even if you would only watch it as a spectator. But I too think, that a contest of this kind would only be interesting for a small circle of really experienced players who could participate into it. Average or even some more experienced players wouldn't have any chance. I play Unreal since 1998, but I'm not nearly as skilled as the guy in the video.

What Strategy try to say is, that it should be an event for as much players as possible, experienced, less experienced or even new players. It's not meant as a real hardcore contest, it's simply a common event in the spirit of fun and not a fight for life and death.

AIM  
IP Logged

Dr.Flay™

ChaosUT-333networks

Reply #24 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
It seems some people just miss the point of having fun.
There is no prize or award ceremony for winning games of Unreal or UT.
I never even completed Unreal or Unreal 2, because I spend so much time exploring. The "prize" is an end-game sequence. So-what. I can't hang it on the wall.

Uber-competitiveness will get you what ?

Yes a competition by it's nature is to find a "winner", but the only thing we have, is the chance to win the respect of our peers.
Winning is not the only way to gain respect. Being a team-player and supporting your team will earn you more respect, compared to only worrying about your personal times and score.

What is needed then is 2 team CoOp, where a team wins and you can nominate "man of the match", so even a player on the loosing team could walk away with their head held high.

When I did my Army training, the first day we were on the big assault course, I decided "This is my bitch. I am going to to own this".
Oh boy did I Cheesy I broke the damned course record. (GET-IN !!)
I may have had the fastest time, but I was then most unpopular, and got it in the neck for days (they kept calling me "Yankie-boy").
We were there for each-other. We were supposed to act like a unit and look after each-other.
I was reminded at that point by the Sargent "We are only as strong as our weakest link"
If I was so good, I should have spent more time helping those who were struggling.

During our training, we watched a video of other recruits training. We were asked to look for the perfect soldier candidates.
Many people picked the guy who won the big race in the video (I did. He was one of the most athletic and won lots of the events).
Most of us got it wrong. Our instructor explained;
The guy who tried so hard to win everything, spends most of his time checking his watch. He is only interested in himself, and his own personal best times. He never really "pushed" himself.
The people they actually look for are the ones who are pushing them selves harder than they have ever tried, and also trying to look after the team at the same time.
These people are known by the technical term of "natural born leaders"  Wink

We are quite aware of how ingrained competitiveness is in the U.S.
In the UK we often see American competitors on our games-shows, and even in the comedy shows some of the American comedians take it way too seriously.
Some of our shows just give arbitrary points based on how much the host liked the answer.
That does not go down well with competitive people.

This years annual cheese-rolling chase, was attended (and won) by an American.
This is an event attended by children and families from the local area, who joyously run and tumble down the grassy hill, chasing a wheel of cheese.
It's a "come-as-you-are, day out for the family" possibly with a picnic.
Most people half-forget the cheese, as they laugh and fall over each-other, but not this years winner.
He arrived in full running kit and spikes. He had even been training months for this (i think we found this the funniest part).
Pumped-up and full of confidence, he powered his way past all the families and children. He left them all standing in his dust.
The actual point of this annual "competitive" race, is to catch the cheese.
It is an impossible task and everyone who enters knows that. The point is to come together to have fun.

While Mr.Competitive was stood recovering at the bottom of the hill, everyone else was still laughing and tumbling their way merrily down.

Who had the most out of the experience, with more memories to go home with ?
Mr.110% or the villagers ?

Any event that encourages people to come together, will always divide opinion no matter what.
I would say, anyone who wants some fun with a few like-minded people, will join-up and have fun even if the come last.
Overtly competitive people will join, but will never be happy with some issue or other.

Good on ya Dog.. Yesh, who's a goood dog  Grin

IP Logged

Masterkent
Developer Team

Reply #25 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Blu3Haz3 wrote on Jul 24th, 2013 at 10:49pm:
Honostly... some people could beat Unreal in an entire hour... this contest is pointless...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAWKd_J7UHI

That's not true Unreal, that's just a tourist trip on easy difficulty level Smiley It would be interesting to look at any speedrun with difficulty=3.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #26 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Well, what a heated argument. What's the topic ?
Hum, I see, this debate seems pretty useless.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

strategy-(DOG)-

-(DOG)-clan | Oldunreal

Reply #27 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 10:56am
Print Post  
@ Leela: WOOF!  Smiley

@ Dr.Flay THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! you really nailed it to the point! Smiley

IP Logged

strategy-(DOG)-

-(DOG)-clan | Oldunreal

Reply #28 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 10:56am
Print Post  
hello!

already seen some players practicing on the servers, even a score added already - cool! Smiley - you can check out all progress on the scoreboard:
http://www.newbiesplayground.com/contest2013/

as you can see on the unreal server browser, there are a few contest "test-servers" set up. feel free to use them to explore the maps: "CHIZRA", "NA PALI HAVEN" and "NALI CASTLE" (mapvoting is enabled too), but remember, when your "hot run" on the single-player maps is taking place, you will start on the server "NEWBIESPLAYGROUND.COM COOP CONTEST 2013 [1]" (only 1 player can join, all others have to join as spectators) and starting off with nothing but the dispersion pistol. the server is based on jcoopz, no mods on server running and difficulty level is set to 3. so i think everyone should/could enjoy this. and remember: the single-player events mainly take place to form teams for the team-event (check out the rules how the teams will be formed by ranking). the team-events are really pure coop. fast map runners won't help their team at all. all 5 members of the team are needed to end the map, so you really will have to play as a coop team if you want to perform a good and respectable game.

as far as the time-schedule is related: currently the servers are set to single player maps. you can ask anytime to get your run "timed" (better said, to record your scores, since time is not counted to the scores on single-player-events). if there should be no admin present to record and view your run, please send an e-mail to admin@newbiesplayground.com - we try our best to be there for any player who wants to join!
we will record the scores for the single players at least until the 4th of august. from 5th august, we start to switch the servers for practicing  the 2 maps that are being played in the team-events: "BLUFF EVERSMOKING" and "SKAARJ CASTLE". as we can't predict how many teams will attend, we might probably need a few days for all runs. focused will be the 9th, 10th and 11th of august. we will try to set starting times according to the teams needs and timezones as good as possible. in mixed teams we will try to set a time playable for all the team-members...

the clan-teams and those teams that only join the team events could - if wanted/required - perform their runs (at least the  1st round) already within the week starting on 5th of august. check back with us to set a date/time and nominate your team-members.

and finally said: this is meant as a "fun event" for all unreal-players. we appreciate your contribution and we'd really like to see you there Wink

thanks a lot to all supporting this, especially our friends OLDUNREAL.COM!!

WOOF!

IP Logged

Masterkent
Developer Team

Reply #29 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
In case if you want to set OddsOfAppearing of actors to 1, I can recommend ready mutator - CustomFilter
(set MinOddsOfAppearing to 1).

Note also that the Rifle on SkyTown may be randomly destroyed by the falling mover. The probability of destruction is 50% per single collision/encroachment. The server may register several collisions, so actual probability that the weapon will not be destroyed is very low. If you want to prevent the Rifle from being destroyed, you can create a mutator with the following code:

Code
Select All
function PostBeginPlay()
{
	if (string(outer.name) ~= "SkyTown")
		Actor(DynamicLoadObject("SkyTown.Rifle0", class'Rifle')).SetOwner(self);
} 

In addition, there is another random factor: some decorations on SkyTown (Barrel3, Barrel5, Chest6, Chest7) may randomly spawn Pupaes or inventory.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2013 at 6:51am by Masterkent »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo