logo
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Re: 227i found and fixed bugs (Read 6446 times)
Jeremy

Oldunreal member

Re: 227i found and fixed bugs
Jun 1st, 2013 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
i think i may have found a bug but when ever i go into multiplayer and click on search for internet game it keeps telling me to set up my player name even if i have already and when i click yes it show my player name as player every time i start unreal up

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Jeremy wrote on Jun 1st, 2013 at 10:38pm:
i think i may have found a bug but when ever i go into multiplayer and click on search for internet game it keeps telling me to set up my player name even if i have already and when i click yes it show my player name as player every time i start unreal up

You should have started a new topic.

As for the issue, did you make sure that your Unreal.ini ad User.ini files are writeable? You can open User.ini and check if the name is Player or the right one.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 7:15am
Print Post  
yes, indeed sounds rather like a permission issue.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 9:10am
Print Post  
I had the same issue for a while : turns out I had botched the french translation. There are a number of strings which interact, and if they are not all set up correctly, the name is not saved in the User.ini file. It's definitely either a permission issue, or a problematic localisation one. What language are you using ?

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Amaroq Clearwater

Check my signature for
a link to my character
bio.

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2014 at 12:16am
Print Post  
I am not entirely sure if this is the right thread, but I keep getting a "Disappearing Geometry" issue, where geometry just disappears in front of my eyes. For literally no reason. EVEN if I set every optimization setting for a map to Poor, set every surface to a ForceViewZone, and rebuild the map.

It seems to be most prevalent on Real_CTF-Face (a RealCTF recreation of CTF Face, that apparently lacks bot pathfinding nodes of any kind, with the exception of the spawn points and flag locations.)

I would provide screenshots, but Unreal's screenshot system (and my Steam overlay) were both refusing to cooperate. Besides, I think a video would be infinitely more useful for showing the glitch, and I have no video recording software either.

Read the bio for my fursona here:
*OUTDATED LINK, WILL BE REPLACED SOON*

---

"Daddy, I had a nightmare."
"What is it, darling?"
"The next Unreal won't have Deck16..."
"That's harsh."
IP Logged

Dr.Flay™

ChaosUT-333networks

Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2014 at 6:38am
Print Post  
Unreal's screenshot system is for in-game not UEd.
I just use the print-screen button "PrtSc" on the keyboard, then paste into Irfanview.
Or if I just want the contents of 1 window, I use the capture option in Irfanview.

Excellent free video capture
https://obsproject.com

Clients with capture
http://raptr.com/download (intel)
http://raptr.com/amd (ATI)
http://www.overwolf.com

Look at the map in BSP Cuts and Zone Portal modes.
You may notice a lot of crazyness in the problem area. or on a cut leading to it.
Welcome to the land of BSP errors and the horrible HoM (Hall of Mirrors).

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2014 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Yes, this is not a bug of the game, but the result of corrupted geometry. Read this to understand how Geometry gets corrupted.

IP Logged

Amaroq Clearwater

Check my signature for
a link to my character
bio.

Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2014 at 11:18am
Print Post  
I was using the in-game screenshot system. The geometry was disappearing in-game, not in the editor. Right as I was walking on it, the path just disappeared from right in front of me, and on some parts of the map it flickered in and out of existence.

I'll read up, but the editor really needs to be fixed to stop corrupting geometry Sad

Thanks for the info, guys.

EDIT: What do BSP Cuts look like in BSP view? Because I've never used it before.

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That's harsh."
IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2014 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
The editor does not corrupt geometry. Bad practices make corrupt geometry.
UnrealEd's building spits out extremely nice BSP. My time on HL's WorldCraft taught me that some engines couldn't handle pretty much anything, while UnrealEd will try and make it work despite the mapper.

What you're describing is geometry disappearing in certain angles. This is a classic type of corrupted geometry.

BSP Cuts can be seen in the 3D Viewport with the Zone/Portal mode. You'll notice every polygon in a single zone has the same colour (for instance, red, blue, green, etc.) but there will be many nuances of the same colour. Each shade is delimited by straight lines which follow the side of at least one polygon, or come from the angle of a brush. The delimitation between two shades is the "cut". It creates various polygons from a single surface. The less, the better.

Usually, BSP errors such as the disappearing polygons can be tracked in UnrealEd: look at the corrupted geometry in Zone/Portal mode and move around until it disappears. It will be obvious that the parts which disappear can be in two cases:

1. It has a colour which is different from all polygons around, despite being in the same zone: this means the engine wrongly sets it to zone0 (the levelinfo), and this causes problems. This can be fixed by changing the solidity of the brushes that cause the problem (to semi-solid if they're solid and vice-versa) or optimizing the map through portals and such.

2. It has the right colour, but you'll notice the disappearing parts correspond exactly to the lines of some shades of the zone's colour. Look around and see where the cut comes from (just follow it to the next brush edge or summit). Move or modify the brush which is at the cut's origin (and may cause it), and the engine will recut the entire place in a different way. This usually does the trick if your geometry is not exessively bad.

IP Logged

)Leela(-[otS]-

Oldunreal member

Reply #9 - Mar 12th, 2014 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
LOL
this is not an issue with the editor, it's more an issue of the person who made the map.
But seriously, Unreal BSP is very tricky and you can get errors really quick.
You should read something about BSP in Unreal.
I've never seen a single map without any BSP errors, especially the original ones. Grin

AIM  
IP Logged

Amaroq Clearwater

Check my signature for
a link to my character
bio.

Reply #10 - Mar 12th, 2014 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Hellkeeper wrote on Mar 12th, 2014 at 3:42pm:
1. It has a colour which is different from all polygons around, despite being in the same zone: this means the engine wrongly sets it to zone0 (the levelinfo), and this causes problems. This can be fixed by changing the solidity of the brushes that cause the problem (to semi-solid if they're solid and vice-versa) or optimizing the map through portals and such.

2. It has the right colour, but you'll notice the disappearing parts correspond exactly to the lines of some shades of the zone's colour. Look around and see where the cut comes from (just follow it to the next brush edge or summit). Move or modify the brush which is at the cut's origin (and may cause it), and the engine will recut the entire place in a different way. This usually does the trick if your geometry is not exessively bad.

That could be a problem. I have literally no idea how to create/edit/destroy brushes or geometry... Or rotating objects (Ctrl + Right-Click doesn't rotate)

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That's harsh."
IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #11 - Mar 12th, 2014 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Amaroq Clearwater wrote on Mar 12th, 2014 at 4:12pm:
That could be a problem. I have literally no idea how to create/edit/destroy brushes or geometry... Or rotating objects (Ctrl + Right-Click doesn't rotate)

I don't know how to make it sound like I'm not condescending, but I'll say it anyway, this is the simplest thing you can do.
Click on a brush and move it, or select it and delete it, or select it and rotate.

Brushes and geometry are pretty much synonyms, because geometry is compiled from the brushes.

Rotating a brush entails only selecting it,a nd keeping CTRL+RMB down while moving the mouse around.

If you can't do that, I'm afraid you need to stop making maps and first get used to the ultra-basic manipulations.

IP Logged

Amaroq Clearwater

Check my signature for
a link to my character
bio.

Reply #12 - Mar 12th, 2014 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Clicking on a brush, or any terrain, and pressing "Delete" does nothing for me.

Holding control + mouse2 (right-click) after selecting an actor just moves it around.

Clicking on terrain and trying to move it around does nothing.

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That's harsh."
IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #13 - Mar 12th, 2014 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Are you clicking on the things you see in the 3D viewport or are you clicking on the wireframe actors and brushes in the 2D Viewport?

IP Logged

Amaroq Clearwater

Check my signature for
a link to my character
bio.

Reply #14 - Mar 12th, 2014 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
I was about to give it a try, but the editor crashed because a my computer didn't bother telling me that it was updating the OpenGL driver...

Though some actual bugs that I would like to report...

---

Jump boots have been phantom-triggering. When I have the jump boots in my inventory (but not equipped), they will at random intervals play the activation sound and partially use themselves up, even if I don't press the jump button.

Also, UnrealEd doesn't let me export .dds or .bmp textures. I really wanted to optimize my S3TC textures by exporting them and re-importing them as .dds

I will select a texture, use the export function, and there are only two options: PCS and "All Files"
If I select all files and type in either .bmp or .dds, the editor says it is exporting but the file never shows up in the specified directory.

It also doesn't want to import MyLamp.t3d (I installed some maps, and there was a t3d file in one of the zip archives). I used the import function, but it did not import any actors, textures or un-built brushes.

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That's harsh."
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo