Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) firetrucks.u (package with support for cutscenes, dialogue, tons more) (Read 16119 times)
ebd had to change screen name

just another worthless
stain

Re: firetrucks.u (package with support for cutscenes, dialogue, tons more)
Reply #15 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 9:20am
Print Post  
I can just feel the energy on this board. I can tell. You guys are pumped up and can hardly wait. And now I've come to deliver some good news.

So good news everybody: I haven't been hit by a bus OR been set on fire! Development is still on schedule for a June 20th release. At last, everything you've always wanted is nearly within reach and now all you have to do is wait for a few more days.

IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Reply #16 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Why is it called firetrucks?

The Ministry of Truth has flagged the above message as possible fake news.

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
IP Logged

Amaroq Clearwater

Check my signature for
a link to my character
bio.

Reply #17 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Super cool reasons that we wouldn't understand, most likely.

Read the bio for my fursona here:
*OUTDATED LINK, WILL BE REPLACED SOON*

---

"Daddy, I had a nightmare."
"What is it, darling?"
"The next Unreal won't have Deck16..."
"That's harsh."
IP Logged

just another worthless
stain

Reply #18 - Jun 19th, 2014 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
Hyper wrote on Jun 17th, 2014 at 10:57am:
Why is it called firetrucks?
This is the most frequent question I get about firetrucks so I suppose it is worth sharing the full story.

A long time ago there was this collaborative map pack called "Chronicles of Weedrow Volume 1: The Quest for the Chalice of Awesome Evilness." Several mappers, including myself, worked on a series of 3 maps using a very small code package put together by Q-tit (who now goes by Z-Enzyme). It had actors for broadcasting messages and ordering pawns around. He called it titpack0 or something along those lines. (Chronicles of Weedrow Volume 1: The Quest for the Chalice of Awesome Evilness can be found here if you are interested. It should be noted that the second map cannot be completed under 227i in most cases though I don't really really remember the reason why.)

After contacting some people about a year after the release of CoWv1:tQftCoAE I started working on a new and improved packed with better support for narrative based gameplay as opposed to "stock unreal with more messages". Z-Enzyme's sense of humor didn't really agree with mine, but I felt a whimsical name was desirable. firetrucks seemed like an auspicious name plus it was a subtle reference to a certain animated series.

firetrucks grew to be very large and eventually grew apart from CoW, but it kept the whimsical name, if for nothing else than for compatibility reasons.

IP Logged

just another worthless
stain

Reply #19 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 5:29am
Print Post  
What a glorious day this is! firetrucks version 1.2 is released! And so is trashbag version 1.1! Get them while they are hot!

firetrucks Download and Official documentation: http://ebd.unrealsp.org/firetrucks/
trashbag Download and Official documentation: http://ebd.unrealsp.org/trashbag/

Also out today is the first in a five part series of tutorials intended to help mappers and modders like you make the best use possible of everything firetrucks has to offer. It can be found on the UnrealSP.org forums.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #20 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 7:09am
Print Post  
woot! Smiley

Mirrored them here as well.

May I suggest to put the documentation into the .zip file as well? I find it really extremely annoying to have zip files without proper docs for download and I can't plain copy everything from your project page...

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

just another worthless
stain

Reply #21 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 7:53am
Print Post  
So not only did I forget the example map again, but I forgot even a readme file... I really messed that one up didn't I?

Anyway here is an all-in-one pack that includes all of the following:
  • firetrucks version 1.2
  • trashbag version 1.1
  • A readme file
  • The example map
  • Offline documentation for both
http://ebd.unrealsp.org/firetrucks/firetrucks_trashbag_combo_pack.zip

Also, it is worth noting that the online documentation is generated by parsing comments placed in the code itself, so checking the code in the editor would yield similar information, just in a rougher format.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #22 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 8:27am
Print Post  
haha Smiley

well, any specific wording you want to have in the news now?

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

just another worthless
stain

Reply #23 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 9:40am
Print Post  
It is alright with me if the post isn't anything special, but just in case I drafted the content below (have to generate hype somehow).

To be completely honest, I sure how well this kind of writing style works for garnering attention, but so far it seems to be going better than my natural writing style which is considerably more subdued.

Ha! I bet you thought ebd would fail to deliver after such a long history doing so. I'd say it sucks to be you, but I'd be lying because now you've got firetrucks version 1.2 in your life.

Oh yeah. You heard that right. It is here.

firetrucks is the biggest, baddest package for single player mappers. It has it all.

Can your package do that?

It has dialog. It has a full replacement for the translator. It has a reskin of the full replacement for the translator ("New Translator" aka Journal didn't sit well with consumers so it was decided to bring back the old flavor as aka TranslatorJournal "Translator Classic"). It has cutscenes. It has the all powerful UseEventAssociator (You know how in a lot of other FPS games you can look at stuff and press a "Use" key? This is a trigger that triggers when "used"). It has a dozen other triggers for toggling visibility, collision, interacting with inventory in special ways, and way, way too much to list here. It has a deterministic finite automata suite so mappers can enjoy complex counters and puzzles without touching code at all. Don't know what a "deterministic finite automata" is? Don't worry; it is easier than it sounds. It also includes a set of mouse triggers just in case you wanted to remake point and click adventure games of old in Unreal. So many features I've probably forgotten about a few!

The observant among you might have known already that firetrucks version 1.0 was released around a year ago. So what's this one have that the old one doesn't? Mostly bug fixes with a few new features.

And if that's not all trashbag version 1.1 is out now as well. Two packages in one night? Yep.

trashbag is an optional add-on to firetrucks that adds a lot of artwork and pickups. This new version has some minor bugfixes and an 11% increase in art. A whole 11% more, free.

Many of you are watering at the mouth right about now, hungry for the delicious combined offerings of firetrucks and trashbag. Lucky for you there is a combo pack where you can grab both these awesome packages along with a sweet example map and offline documentation all in one convenient download.

Now what are you waiting for? firetrucks has everything you could ever want, as long as you want a bunch of tools for single player mapping. Some say certain features might even work with coop, but certainly there wouldn't be support for such things.

Grab it here; you won't regret it:
http://ebd.unrealsp.org/firetrucks/firetrucks_trashbag_combo_pack.zip

IP Logged

just another worthless
stain

Reply #24 - Jul 9th, 2014 at 8:53am
Print Post  
For those interested, part 2 of a planned series of 5 short tutorials on basic firetrucks usage is now released, and can be found on the UnrealSP.org forums, at http://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?p=65942#p65942.

IP Logged

Kajgue
Global Moderator
Betatester

Super-sexy-Kung-Fu-H
obo-sunva-bitch

Reply #25 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Good work, Evil Blue dude; this is incredibly useful.

*Smacks*
   | 

o/\o

AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard

Whistleblower Ted Gunderson
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo