Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) firetrucks.u (package with support for cutscenes, dialogue, tons more) (Read 96 times)
ebd had to change screen name

just another worthless
stain

firetrucks.u (package with support for cutscenes, dialogue, tons more)
Jun 1st, 2013 at 2:12am
Print Post  
Below is mostly a copy past of the original announcement at usp with a few edits:

-= firetrucks.u =-
(I think it is cool... maybe you will too?)

What is it?
firetrucks.u is a code package designed to allow mappers to more easily create powerful narratives in Unreal 227. Well, it isn't THAT dependent on 227. 227i was still in development when a lot of this was coded, and it started development on 227h.

It was originally intended for a specific project (Chronicles of Weedrow vol. 2). Due to development stagnation and other issues, the code is being released. Development on this code started nearly a year ago and since then I have put hundreds of hours into it.

What does it do?
There are utilities for cutscenes, dialogue, complicated point-and-click adventure game sequences, a large number of triggers, and much more.

Features
  • Interact with actors in new and unprecedented ways with UseEventAssociator
  • Have a chat with pawns (or other actors) with the all new DialogueNode class
  • Create complex and powerful puzzle sequences and more with the deterministic finite automata suite (1000% easier than it sounds!)
  • Special extra interactive inventory items and triggers for improved player inventory experience
  • Complete rework of translator into Journal which not only hold old messages but can display images and much more
  • Many new triggers subclasses for triggering in specific ways or performing in certain ways while triggered. Way too much stuff to list here
  • MouseTriggers suite allowed dedicated mappers to create complex point and click adventure game like sequences
  • Some new decoration classes because why not
  • Even more!

Will it work with coop?
Certain things I know will break. Other stuff isn't tested at all. This was designed first and foremost for single player.

Download (includes example map)
Latest version: http://ebd.unrealsp.org/firetrucks/firetrucks_1_2_0.zip
trashbag addon pack: http://ebd.unrealsp.org/trashbag/trashbag_1_1_0.zip

Documentation
http://ebd.unrealsp.org/firetrucks/
http://ebd.unrealsp.org/trashbag/
http://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=65676

Credits
  • ebd for being a horrible programmer
  • Qtit/Z-Enzyme for the PawnTrigger class (which was edited a bit and renamed to avoid conflicts)
  • Frieza for inspiration, motivation, and many sleepless nights on my end
  • Jet v435 for for making me implement all these extra features so he could live out his dream of remaking some old game
  • ividyon for generously providing hosting for the project
  • Smirftsch, Oldunreal and the 227 patch for breathing new life into this old game (as well as granting early access to 227i)
  • And the rest of the Weedrow 2 team

With that out of the way, some people suggested that I announce this project here as well. It's just a code package of classes for mappers really, but I did spend an enormous amount of time on it and I'd like it to be of use to someone. I know the documentation could be a bit more thorough in places so I am happy to answer any questions people might have.
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2014 at 5:32am by ebd had to change screen name »  

IP Logged

William(Rainman)
God Member

Pancaking Skaarj Troopers
with the Cicada.

Re: firetrucks.u
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 1:00am
Print Post  
Does this come with a Interpolation Point Camera that is Similar to UT2004s Interpolationpoint that allows you to make in-game Cutscenes?

IP Logged

just another worthless
stain

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Camera interpolation was suggested, but there wasn't a huge demand during development so I never got around to implementing it. It is of course possible to attach camera pawns to movers (or other actors...) as well as subclass the camera and make it behave as desired.

http://ebd.unrealsp.org/firetrucks/firetrucks_1_0_0.zip

Documentation

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Sounds interesting. Although the name is sort of random and doesn't describe what it really is...

IP Logged

William(Rainman)
God Member

with the Cicada.

Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
ebd had to change screen name wrote on Jun 2nd, 2013 at 1:26am:
Camera interpolation was suggested, but there wasn't a huge demand during development so I never got around to implementing it. It is of course possible to attach camera pawns to movers (or other actors...) as well as subclass the camera and make it behave as desired.

http://ebd.unrealsp.org/firetrucks/firetrucks_1_0_0.zip

Documentation

Sweet ill have to check out the map although i really have no idea what a Camera Pawn is.

IP Logged

Tronovision

OldUnreal Member

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
This looks very promising. However, after I placed the .u file and map file in their respective folders I got this error message when I opened the firetrucks_example.unr file:

"...Can't find Function in the file 'Function Engine.NavigationPoint.EdPathBuildExec'..."

Am I missing something here? (BTW I am currently operating on 227h - should update soon though!  Tongue)

IP Logged

just another worthless
stain

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
In regards to the name: It is a dumb reference joke. It came about since the package was originally intended to be smaller and for a specific project anyway. It just kind of stuck.

The "camera pawn" in this case refers to the class FiretrucksCamera which extends Pawn.

It should work on 227i unless I did something horribly wrong.

IP Logged

William(Rainman)
God Member

with the Cicada.

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Does it let you change the position of the Camera because I've been trying to find a way to rotate the camera to view the front of my character so that I can take screen shots of my character from the front and not the back.

IP Logged

Tronovision

OldUnreal Member

Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 3:14am
Print Post  
Yep, it worked on 227i. Very nice, I will have to experiment around with this a bit. Good work!

IP Logged

just another worthless
stain

Re: firetrucks.u (package with support for cutscenes, dialogue, tons more)
Reply #9 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 12:06am
Print Post  
I'm not sure if there is much interest in this, but an extension to firetrucks is currently in development that adds new content and features.

current feature list of trashbag.u (note: not guaranteed to have everything on this this or be limited only to things on this list)
  • TranslatorJournal Like the Journal in firetrucks but with the look and feel of the Translator.
  • ClassicHUD A HUD for firetrucks that looks more like the stock unreal HUD.
  • TrashbagHUD Minor fixes to FiretrucksHUD to allow better use in combat and maybe fixing some netplay issues. Maybe.
  • Something to change HUD with triggers.
  • Probably some classes to make certain in-editor firetrucks-related tasks more convenient.
  • Gold coin pickup. Model and icon change automatically based on the amount of gold coins in the pile or in the player's inventory. These came about due to some discussion about how firetrucks would allow for a RPG-styled shop to be implemented without any additional code, but that there are no pickups for money.
  • Corndog because I think they are pretty good. Others may not agree.
  • Hamburger prepared by the talented ividyon.
  • Various decorations and FiretrucksPickup equivalents. Includes Steak, CookedSteak, Scroll, OpenScroll, Trashbag, and more.
  • TrashbagWeapon abstract weapon class that adds some neat features. Whether or not I'll actually get around to implementing any weapons is not known at this time.
As for the name, "trashbag," I made the mistake of asking someone in IRC for a package name. Of the suggestions offered this one was the tamest.

IP Logged

just another worthless
stain

Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2013 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
After development began on trashbag, it came to my attention that a revision of firetrucks will have to be made anyway. for the sake of organization many of the functional aspects of trashbag were moved to that revision, which is in development.

But that also mean trashbag would be ready sooner, though not as soon as I should have liked (I wanted to have it out before September 1st).

Downloads and documentation can be found at:
http://ebd.unrealsp.org/trashbag/

tbh it doesn't really have that much content in it, which reflects trashbag's original design scope (it was only supposed to take 2-3 weeks). It does have a few subclasses of FiretrucksPickup, and a couple of health pickups, some deco meshes, and some new footstep sounds.

IP Logged

just another worthless
stain

Reply #11 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Version 1.1 of firetrucks has been released. It can be downloaded at:
http://ebd.unrealsp.org/firetrucks/firetrucks_1_1_0.zip

It fixes a few bugs and other unintended behaviors, as well as adds the TranslatorJournal (A journal that appears aesthetically closer to the translator) and HUDEvent. It should be compatible with any existing maps that used the previous release of firetrucks. Please let me know if something is broken.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #12 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
going to update download section Smiley

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

just another worthless
stain

Reply #13 - Jun 1st, 2014 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Hey man, are you ready to GET HYPED? I sure hope so, because you are going to be soooo hyped after you hear about this!

It is everything you've ever wanted. All of your worldly desires balled up into one really, really great Unreal package. You have always had a deep longing to create narrative driven single player content for Unreal, but up until now there was no good generic way to set up dialogue. The darkest desires from the bottom of your heart have called for you to set up complex puzzles and scripted cutscenes, but it couldn't be done without a titanic effort. Even in your wildest fantasies where you envisioned a point and click style of sequence, perhaps for the whole map, or perhaps just a short sequence in the middle of a map, you knew it was unfeasible. It couldn't be done. At least, not without some poor sap doing all the hard work for you.

But it is a dream no longer! Everything you wanted is here. All of it. Well, not coop support. But everything else really. Some poor sap did all the hard work.

Introducing firetrucks:

• Dialogue? We got it.
  • A detailed Journal that can display images and store messages for later? Got that too.
  • Cutscenes? All you want.
  • Fiddly point and click stuff? Yep.
  • Tons of new triggers and even a deterministic finite automata suite to allow for complex sequences with NO extra code? We have it all!

But that's old news. I mean really, firetrucks came out like a year ago. Why talk about it now? Because the final version of firetrucks (version 1.2) is on the way and will arrive soon!

It includes new features like extra triggers, and also a ton of bug fixes that should have been there from the beginning but the piss poor coders didn't do appropriate testing! Better late than never right?

I can tell you are totally bursting with hype right now, but keep your pants on because it will be out on June 20th (or your money back). But not a moment sooner than that!

But wait! There's more! If you've been hiding under your floorboards this whole time and missed it all, there was an extra pack for firetrucks some time ago called trashbag. It added a lot of bits and bobs to make firetrucks even more fun! It is being updated too with some adjustments to various things and a couple more stunningly beautiful art assets.

If you have it within you to get stoked for an awesome package for creating truly unforgettable single player campaigns in 227, then now is the time.

If you just can't wait to see it in action, or use it for your own endeavors, version 1.1 can be downloaded here along with the documentation. The update will be 100% backwards compatible with the current live version, so you can map without fear.

I'd also like to get some tutorials up for it's usage. No ETA on that, sorry.

IP Logged

Amaroq Clearwater

Check my signature for
a link to my character
bio.

Reply #14 - Jun 2nd, 2014 at 6:37am
Print Post  
What begins with F and ends with uck?

Firetruck! Cheesy

Read the bio for my fursona here:
*OUTDATED LINK, WILL BE REPLACED SOON*

---

"Daddy, I had a nightmare."
"What is it, darling?"
"The next Unreal won't have Deck16..."
"That's harsh."
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo