Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Oggs on ALAudio & GalaxyAudio (Read 7208 times)
.:..:
Oldunreal MasterPoster
Developer Team

Oggs on ALAudio & GalaxyAudio
Feb 5th, 2008 at 1:51am
Print Post  
Would it be possible to add Ogg/MP3 sounds/musics support for ALAudioDrv and Galaxy Audio subsystem?
This seams to be working all right with FMod already though (when you import into UnrealEd a MP3 or Ogg as a sound, but for Ogg's you have to change their file extension to MP3 before so its possible to import them).
At least this isnt working on 227a (or in any other unreal version as matter of fact).

Shivaxi wrote on Jul 25th, 2013 at 12:50pm:
...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD Tongue

(ಠ_ಠ)
ICQYIM  
IP Logged

Fenix Steiner
Ex Member

Re: Oggs on ALAudio & GalaxyAudio
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 5:39am
Print Post  
It should be possible to import .OGG or .MP3 as "Music" in .UMX packages and such. If that is, not to much of a hassle for the final 227 release when the time comes, however I can obviously see this breaking compatibility but I don't give a dammed about compatibility any longer, This dragon in this for the features.

- Fenix

IP Logged

Turboman.
God Member
Developer Team

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 11:52am
Print Post  
since i do believe we should do our utmost best to preserve compatibility...

is there any chance of implenting .ogg support without breaking compatibility in the patch itself? i mean it worked aswell with skeletal animation right? the only time the incompatibility surfaces is when someone actually uses the psa/psk animation format...

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Raven

Yog-Sothoth rulez :)

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
If Smirf will release public headers (if it isn't forbidden by NDA), then I can port Mp3Player to 227. Now player is more complete, but still requires implementation inside gametype code (in event postlogin - to handle load/save actions).

WWWGTalkICQ  
IP Logged

Oldunreal MasterPoster
Developer Team

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Raven wrote on Feb 5th, 2008 at 3:29pm:
If Smirf will release public headers (if it isn't forbidden by NDA), then I can port Mp3Player to 227. Now player is more complete, but still requires implementation inside gametype code (in event postlogin - to handle load/save actions).

I'd still rather have this feature built in on 227, so other clients don't have to go manually download the required files somewhere to listen on some map songs.

...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD Tongue

(ಠ_ಠ)
ICQYIM  
IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
mmh, to be honest, I didn't mess with it again because of the big bunch of 227 things which needed to be done. In theory, adding .ogg support to OpenAL shouldn't be a big problem (ok, as usual it will probably take way longer as expected, but...Tongue)
Well, what can I say. No idea if or when I will have time for that, although a pretty nice feature of course.
As for compatibility, there will be no problem unless an older client, which don't support it, tries to load and play a map which contains .ogg music.
For Galaxy- since its half-closed (don't have the full sources, guess because some agreement with creative)- there is lil chance to build it in, and I don't wanna mess with it.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Oldunreal MasterPoster
Developer Team

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Quote:
mmh, to be honest, I didn't mess with it again because of the big bunch of 227 things which needed to be done. In theory, adding .ogg support to OpenAL shouldn't be a big problem (ok, as usual it will probably take way longer as expected, but...Tongue)
Well, what can I say. No idea if or when I will have time for that, although a pretty nice feature of course.
As for compatibility, there will be no problem unless an older client, which don't support it, tries to load and play a map which contains .ogg music.
For Galaxy- since its half-closed (don't have the full sources, guess because some agreement with creative)- there is lil chance to build it in, and I don't wanna mess with it.

Actually the only problem is when a non-FMod Audio Drv player tries to play Ogg sounds atm. So thats why I had to create a mutator which checks whenever client is on FMod or not, but still I'd prefer that every 227 player could hear them Tongue
Oh well, if FMod is set as default audio driver on 227, I think that like 95 % of users will be using it then anyway.

(ಠ_ಠ)
ICQYIM  
IP Logged

Fenix Steiner
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 12:51am
Print Post  
I hate the legal system. Period.

Legal restrictions are B.S.

- Fenix

IP Logged

Raven

Yog-Sothoth rulez :)

Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Why not adding mp3/ogg support independent of audio driver ? Like making additional dll which will handle playing mp3/ogg and then only make changes in rest of native code to stop/start playing music when loading a map/save. this way even a galaxy users will be able to hear mp3/ogg.

WWWGTalkICQ  
IP Logged

Oldunreal MasterPoster
Developer Team

Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Raven wrote on Feb 6th, 2008 at 11:51am:
Why not adding mp3/ogg support independent of audio driver ? Like making additional dll which will handle playing mp3/ogg and then only make changes in rest of native code to stop/start playing music when loading a map/save. this way even a galaxy users will be able to hear mp3/ogg.

Dosen't really matter for me as long as even the dumbest person can use it aswell.
Like if you host a server with a map that runs a Ogg or MP3 as theme music, so only requirement would be that client is using 227 (and nothing like "Go download this from here and that from there." when the user enters the server), otherwise they wont get it and just thinks "this sucks" and leaves again.

(ಠ_ಠ)
ICQYIM  
IP Logged

Oldunreal MasterPoster
Developer Team

Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Just a reminder of this topic, supporting Ogg samples on OpenAL would also make it possible to compress sound packages and use high quality sounds in them, this is basicly how sound packages are compressed in UT3 (by converting the sounds into Oggs).

(ಠ_ಠ)
ICQYIM  
IP Logged

Dr.Flay™

ChaosUT-333networks

Reply #11 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Any idea if "StrangeOgg" is any use ?
http://unreal.fvenegas.com/redirect/

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #12 - Jan 9th, 2013 at 7:20am
Print Post  
don't see anything like StrangeOgg there or am I blind again? Smiley

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

BobIsUnreal
God Member

Guy who has too much time
invested to quit now

Reply #13 - Jan 9th, 2013 at 8:06am
Print Post  
Smirftsch wrote on Jan 9th, 2013 at 7:20am:
don't see anything like StrangeOgg there or am I blind again? Smiley

StrangeOgg.dll.uz  12-Oct-2009 08:36  206K   http://unreal.fvenegas.com/redirect/StrangeOgg.dll.uz
StrangeOgg.u.uz    12-Oct-2009 08:36  3.3K   http://unreal.fvenegas.com/redirect/StrangeOgg.u.uz

F3 + paste 
only looked becuase i tend to read every post here , 
5 year old topic   Grin

[REM_img]http://i.imgur.com/V3OSsDu.gif.disable[/img]http://i.imgur.com/JOu38Gs.gif
IP Logged

Dr.Flay™

ChaosUT-333networks

Reply #14 - Jan 9th, 2013 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Doh, sorry I could have been more precise.
Seems to be an implementation by the StrangeLove community, but I have no experience with it. I just keep stumbling upon it on various servers/redirects.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo